paulyboy123
Paulyboy123
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 Competition, BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dorfin View Post
Typically the leak of the cooling fluid on m5 f90 can cause this:

1) if is a new car - the cooling system needs to "expand", it can take up to 1l of cooling fluid to be added within a short period of time ... if consumption of cooling fluid won't stop then it is

2) bad top cap of cooling fluid tank - bad design of the cap and high pressure of cooling system cause occasionally bursts of cooling fluid into engine area - typically sign are white spots on the engine cover and surrounding area (BMW knows about this and SA are advised to change this part)

IMPORTANT! the bursts can cause following - cooling fluid bursts into spark plugs and coil area causing corrosion of coils - engine can then start falling into "safety mode/limb mode" under certain load and diagnostics of your SA says there are misfires at certain valves .. all that is because of the corrosion of the coils - solution is to change the cap of cooling fluid tank, change coils and spark plugs and clean the area (had this problem on my M5 and few other guys here as well)

3) It can be also caused by a broken radiator - since all front radiators are quite unprotected, a small stone from the car in front of you could hit the radiator .. then it is important to check from which tank is cooling fluid leaking (if the engine one or the one for turbos) ... an indicator of this could also be a pond under your car .. solution is to take it to your SA to pressure the cooling system .. since you wrote you already did it, the solution is probably 1) or 2)

Interesting fact:
preLCI M5 operates at 120°C whether LCI runs at 100°C .. I guess guys at BMW realized there is a problem with high temperature and high pressure in the cooling system ...

Cheers,
Petr
Wow thank you for the super detailed list. I believe the problem is 2 but I will keep an eye on it now. I won't be touching the cap or anything. Just praying it doesn't give me a warning again haha.
Appreciate 0