Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupt View Post
I'm assuming insurance company will suggest where to get it fixed?

Someone told me I would have issues with paint matching the door with the rest of the car. Is this true?

Should I just take it to the dealer and get an OEM door then submit it to the insurance?
1. I'd ask around locally to see who does the best work and tell your insurance company that you will stand for nothing less than to have the work done there.

2. There will be no issue whatsoever. The way it works is, the door has primer, then paint, then clear. They will fix the hole, sand the CLEAR on the whole door, spot the color in on where the hole was, fade it out (easy), then reclear the entire door. On something this small you will NEVER be able to tell. The only thing is that they have to sand not only the door, but all the way around all the edges, as that's where clear pulls away from (if it's done by a bad shop).

3. Your insurance company will NOT pay for an entire door, it's not something you need. What they might pay for is a door SKIN, and you DO NOT want that. The door skin will NOT come painted, so that means you'd have to install the entire skin, get the whole thing painted, and then feather the color onto the rear quarter, skirt, and front fender to match, having to clear all of them!!!

Dude, listen to me, this is an EASY fix for even a terrible bodyshop. Find the best one, make sure to tell them that you're particular about the edges, and it'll look good as new in no time.

NOTE: Not that I'm some kind of expert, but my brother has done bodywork for 25+ years, and guess who has been his assistant when he needs help? You guessed it.
For being a body man's assistant, you should know BMW does not offer or make outer panels , or "skins" , only shells (entire door)