Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
The title of the video is "super car in disguise". Meaning it has the performance and guts of a super car but dressed with too many doors and the engine in the wrong place.

I like to use the lay or the non "car guy" person as my definer of super cars. If they see it and say it's a super car than it ls a super car. They don't ruin it with stats, performance numbers or similar arguments noted in this thread. Car guys ruin cars. Never will any of the non car people call out a 4 door car as a super car. And that's a good thing. Because they should stand out. A super car should be super eye catchy, super fast, super expensive and most importantly super sexy. all that is what makes them a super car. They should stand out in every way and never blend into the crowd. You buy this M5 because you want an awesome, fast and practical car and it's a nice humble brag. You buy a super car because of the exclusivity, rarity and to let everyone know you made it.
Interesting that you didn't mention anything about the driving experience in your last sentence. I think that's the primary reason why people buy supercars.
If people bought super cars solely for driving experience, which is subjective I guess, most of the sales of those vehicles would be far lower than they are. I haven't driven many but I know Lamborghinis for a fact and as my example are insanity. The entire car is a blind spot, visibility is non existent, the cars are so low that you have to adjust your route based on the roads conditions. parking lots, parking garages and driveways? Forget about it unless you researched the spot prior. You can't even back a Lamborghini up without opening the door and sitting on the door sill or having someone guide you. All of that to me adds up to "driving experience". My M3 blows all of that out of the water. I can see everything, I can drive it on any public street and park it anywhere I want, plus the performance is more than enough for any public streets. Lamborghini on a track or an open road is probably a different story.

That being said, if money were no option, I would definitely throw a few super cars into the mix but not for the amazing "driving experience", I'm a car guy who likes beautiful cars and if I was on an island alone I'd still want one just for myself.
I never said solely for the driving experience, but rather it being a primary reason. There are people who buy these things for the experience rather than the image. In fact, the image/attention aspect may be more of a deterrent for some.

Comparing the practicality of a BMW with a Lambo is missing the point. Supercars should prioritize emotion over convenience or ease of use. My Countach offers near zero rearward visibility, has no power steering, a ridiculously stiff clutch, a useless A/C and takes 20 minutes to warm up before it changes gears smoothly (I use that term very loosely).

It's a big go kart with a bellowing V12 behind your head. I look forward to every drive.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC502.00