View Single Post
      01-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #101
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Catastrophic failure like this at such low mileage can only be caused by one of the two reasons: Absolute negligence (running out of oil, failure to change oil, etc) or Absolute mechanical failure either through a manufacturing defect or abuse.

Assuming you are like most M owners, we can rule out negligence and abuse. This leaves is only with a manufacturing defect, either in assembly or in a part itself.

I would be highly suspect of your oil pump chain and oil pump sprocket. It is unusual for an engine with such low mileage to have issues with these however it's not impossible. Three tiny little bolts hold on the oil pump sprocket and they have been known to come loose. The Chain has no tensioner and can become loose too (I made a video on it below).

I would have your mechanic pull the lower pan, which is super easy to do on the X5, and inspect the chain and sprocket.

If your oil pump checks out, I would be highly suspect of foreign debris left over from the manufacturing process clogging an oil passage.

The very last and this is a bit of stretch at only 55k miles but a completely clogged CCV tubes can cause oil dilution over time but again this is pretty unlikely unless you are going 15k+ miles between changes but have your mechanic check the CCV system next if no other issues are found.

This was my first thought.

It is so sad that someone used completely wrong oil for this engine! I am glad tho everything is looking up for you!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 01-06-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
9vapors653.50