View Single Post
      11-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC, 2022 X5 M50I

Garage List
Good bye BMW, terrible buying experience/attempt of two cars

I am not sure if anyone from corporate monitors these forums or takes feedback. After enduring what has been the worst buying experience of my life I just had to cancel my M5 competition and X5 M50I. I have been a long time BMW enthusiast, owner and loyal family member. I currently own a 2017 Alpina B7 and owned a 2017 X5 50I but sold it when I had a "confirmed" production date to replace it which was anything but confirmed despite the promises that confirmed was set in stone. This was not going to be my first M5 either. After settling over and over again to remove options from the X5 and being told over and over again they are options "I do not really need".. Those are not the same sales tactics that were taken when I bought my M5, B7 or last X5 or any of the other cars I have owned from BMW, that I can promise. I hit an impasse though this week that was the straw that finally broke the camels back. I was patient with the "confirmed" production date for both cars getting delayed over and over to where the M5 has been moved back over 3 months and is still stated as tentative. I was patient with my wife being stuck with out a car causing her to drive mine since I was told the production date for the X5 was set in stone so we sold her X5. I was patient with the many options that had to be removed that we enjoyed in our last X5 like soft close doors, wireless charging and more. I was patient having to be the one bringing to the dealer anytime there was a reason to believe the dates may be delayed and getting told I am being influenced by a forum of people that have no idea what they are talking about, each time materialized to be delays though. My rep came to me 2 weeks after I told him of the coming delay due to B&W and acted like a hero letting me know he found it was being delayed due to B&W, the same thing he said I was crazy for believing a forum. He told me stories of delivering cars to individuals and at delivery finding out there were many features missing from HUD to power seats. Did not exactly instill confidence that I could trust him to be on top of my two cars. So when i brought to him touch screen being removed and got the same response until he checked his inbox and found many emails on the matter that was problematic. My X5 that 2 weeks prior I made a concession to drop B&W with a promise it would go straight to product and not lose more features was now losing back up assistant and touch screen and he was not going to tell me about it. My wife used touch screen everyday in her X5 and uses it in my Alpina that she is now driving due to her car being sold. I tried to work with him saying that this would be a deal breaker but if we could confirm what the problem really is so I can verify i can retrofit it I would take delivery of the car. I was fed contradicting information from him and his GM that clearly showed they do not understand Idrive and were blowing smoke. I am likely the only person in the country that has taken an NBT from a 2015 M5 and retrofitted to EVO with the 4G ATM and got it activated. That unit I could plug in touch screen or non touch and both work. I explained this to them that either it is a simple replacement of hardware otherwise there is something else they are not sharing that is causing the issue and if they could confirm that would allow me to know how to solve. They literally came back and said "It is a hardware issue, not a software issue so is not possible to retrofit". Circles were run with me asking for them to be precise in what hardware change since they said it was not just the touch screen but with emails shared from corporate included would not share details. I finally told them it is not my job to fix their problems so since they wanted to continue with lies and contradictions they can resolve or I would be passing on the car. They responded that they took my name off the car and then asked if I still wanted the M5??? Seriously?? After months of patiently waiting and all the treatment that was their response, they were going to their waitlist. The sales rep and I went back and forth for 3 weeks waiting on B&W according his suggestion to see if it cleared up. If B&W was a big deal why would they think I am ok removing more features. Corporate knew about this touch screen issue when they verified if we dropped B&W they would go right to production and decided to hold that detail back and sneak it on, pushing it on to the consumer. My dealer was complicit in blaming corporate and stating it is all their fault and they can not help me, yet they threw me aside since they have a nice long waitlist due to lack of inventory. So I cancelled both cars officially and told them if that was the route they were pushing me too I would be leaving the brand indefinitely. I received an impersonal email telling me to let them know if I ever changed my mind and then text messages from the sales rep saying I have bad information and essentially I needed to stop listening to the forums. Seriously, we were still arguing about if my information was accurate, that was his take away, wake up BMW!

This is a consolidated version of my terrible experience, I am not complaining about having an unofficial date for my M5, I am/ was fine waiting. I am not ok though with being treated like a dog, like I am lucky to be buying a BMW and should be ok being treated terribly and thank them. removing features and not telling customers, making them figure it out at delivery.. really?! I understand supply chain issues but you have to stop blaming all your terrible behavior and shortcomings on your supply chain. We the customers are no dummies, we work in production, tech, product development, shipping and more and know the issues you are facing. Ironically I am in ASIA right now working on product development and supply chain issues. Part shortages due to the many reasons they occur and how you run your business and treat the customer are two very different things.

I have sent an email to the CEO and hope someone in his office takes my email serious and offers up a solution. Honestly my treatment has been so poor I am anxious to first hear if they care, next if they want to resolve and 3rd their ideas of how they correct such a terrible experience from a loyal BMW family member.

If they do not correct then as soon as I can get my wife a new car ill be selling my Alpina B7 and F10 M5 and will sadly leave the family for life. I am as loyal as they come but am principal minded and will not tolerate this treatment. The dealership is blaming corporate saying it is all corporate and they are saints and amazing and I should feel blessed to be able to be considered to by a car from their dealership, what does BMW have to say about this?

I will update if I get a response and pray and hope that you all are having better experiences than me. I am so disappointed, my wife and I were very excited for our new cars. Buying a BMW use to be an amazing process, you felt like family, you felt special, like you mattered and got the butterflies of excitement. This has been anything but that.

Last edited by tnutt19; 11-06-2021 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 2