08-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #30
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Coming from the rs3/ttrs community, you guys don't know about soft rods, stage 2 can easily destroy a motor if the torque is to height. Now that I have a f90 m5 was hopeful there would be more discussion on tuning options. I doubt these motors are that weak. Assuming stage 2 on only E85 full tilt would push these motors harder than they want to be. Thinking stage 2 tune for 93 octane with a kick of a few gallons of E85 just so there is no knock should keep these motors together. Was going to go BM3 after using it on my M2c, was so easy especially adjusting over run which I want to do on my 19 M5c. Still undecided which direction to go. The results of JB4 are impressive, but what stops me the most is the codes and issues that come up not even blowing the motor. Wishing there was just a tread with guys that have tuned M5's that can share more results.
Bradford,

1.) Congrats on the M5, Hope you enjoy it! It's really an amazing car all around.

2.) You will only ever see bad forums about a cars motor rather than good, because if you're having no issues what's there to post about, right?

Beyond that point though, you tend to see a lot of forums on the F90 page as opposed to other cars likes Porsche's/Vette's/Mustang's and even other BMW's (S55, B58 etc), about how they blew their engine. This is a common thing, and I don't want to scare you at all but stage 2 with e30 is definitely not "safe". I mean if your tuner wants to limit torque and do a few other things, and you don't drive like a maniac everyday flooring it in first and second gear all the time, you SHOULD be fine.

BUT, out of personal owners I know in my area that are tuned (stage 2/stage 2+), they'll be the first to tell you that it tends to become a headache dealing with these cars.

Not every car is the same though. My buddy has been 720+ whp for over a year now, with minor maintenance whereas others will just do stage 1 and blow their motor. Again, this depends on how you drive and sometimes even luck.

EDIT: Just re-read and saw your statement about limiting torque.
Appreciate 0