View Single Post
      06-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
The key is to get the temps RIGHT at pit lane. The moment you get off track, drive through the paddock and park the car - you've lost the REAL precise information that you need.

That being said you can still do it that way to get an idea of your O M I gradient but the outside temp will drop quicker than middle and inside. There's still valuable information to be had but if you can pull into pit in the middle of the session and have someone check the temps that would be the most accurate.

I use a Longacre Pyrometer that I got from bimmerworld. I abuse that thing, works great.
I agree with you that if looking for exact temperature needs to do it immediately after get into the hot pit late. For me this is very difficult to be achieved but still as you said getting the measurement couple minutes after leaving the track can still tell the gradient between inside, middle and outside
which helps with tire wear / alignment.

On the other side I dont believe the gradient will be so much impacted because what we are measuring is core temperature of the tire and NOT surface temperature. Overtime you will be able to establish an association with performance/wear and temperature which ultimately can lead to better laptime.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271126.50