Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
I get the part where it adapt to my driving style but how does it know conditions? Cameras or pre programmed gps data?

I'm convinced it is learning the road condition and memorising it, obviously if a new pot hole or speed bump turns up overnight it won't know until it has driven over it.
I've not read anything, even in the technical data, which indicates there is anything in memory. The idea of real time adaptions stands out from the descriptions, using driving style, driving situation, ('conditions' like taking a bend) and some predictive data from the Sat Nav system as you drive.

Here's the Adaptive mode description for the 7-series. (7-series has a few extras).

Quote:
Overview
The "ADAPTIVE" mode is used for the first time in the BMW 7 Series. It is designed to achieve a balanced driving mode where the setup is automatically adapted to both the driving situation and the driving style.

In this mode, the parameters of the Electronic Damper Control (VDP), the Electric Active Roll Stabilization (EARS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the automatic transmission, for example, are switched between "COMFORT", "SPORT" and "ECOPRO" settings depending on the driving situation. However, when "ADAPTIVE" mode is active, no changes that restrict comfort (seat heating, A/C settings, etc.) are made in the event of switching to "ECOPRO" mode.

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style. With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" Mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type.

The displays on the instrument cluster and Central Information Display (CID) remain in "normal" mode and do not continuously change between "COMFORT" and "SPORT" modes. This is to prevent the Driver from being distracted or lose comfort by changes in the displays. "ADAPTIVE" mode changes the modes in the background so that the driver does not notice the changes directly.

The following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor)
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data
As you will note, some sensor inputs are used for assessment of both driving style and driving situations.

Brief reference for the G30, showing possible limitations of Sat Nav data.

Quote:
BMW G30 5-series User Manual
ADAPTIVE

Concept
Comfort-oriented driving mode, whose tuning is automatically modified to the driving situation and driving style.
If the navigation system is active, upcoming road sections are considered.
The function may be restricted if the navigation data is invalid, outdated or not available, for example.
This is very interesting, i am liking it more and more as a default, instead of constantly switching btw comfort and sport like i used to.

I still like to put it in sport+ when i feel like it for spirited driving but for usual situations it is rather nice.

The position of the button, encompassing all 3 sport /comfort/eco leads me to think it is similar to the 7 series description you found.