04-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #16
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
Does anyone "pre-brake" as well? I come from a manual car (Audi S4), so I got used to doing this. I'm usually in D shift mode. When approaching a stop from high speed (off ramp for example), I use the left paddle shifter to downshift to the lowest gear it will let me, and continue to downshift further as the stop comes closer. By the time I actually have to brake, I'm only at 35 mph instead of 90 mph. I figure in the long run it'll spare my brakes, but shouldn't impact the gears much. Also, less brake dust.
Highly, highly, not recommended. Please do not do this. This is neither safe nor efficient.

“Engine braking” (as was correctly identified by another forum member) uses the most powerful expensive mechanical components in your car for braking.

1.) your engine, transmission and related drive train components cost more than any of your brake system components, combined. Certainly there is a huge price delta between pads and damn near everything else.

2.) never ride your brakes. The very act of braking upsets the balance of the car and transfers weight to the front of the car. When it’s time to brake, brake. Condition yourself to find a happy medium where you can alternate throttle application on and off and only go for the brake pedal when you truly need to decelerate and stop.

3.) as was pointed out, brakes benefit from regular use. Pads should be properly seated with rotors. Good, consisten and even regularly interspersed heavy braking will get you to this state. Light braking will never get the brake system in its best shape.

4.) brakes are intended to be a consumable item component to regular car maintenance. Treating them as something to spare is wrong and ultimately not safe.

5.) take a BMW CCA driving school. You will learn all of this and much more, lots of fun, too!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1