View Single Post
      03-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #388
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
The Tesla most definitely has vision trouble, also. I have a 2019 model 3. The onboard cameras do not handle direct sunlight and flickering sunlight/shadows very well. Most every time I drive it, I get a message that says the "autopilot" is unavailable because one of the B pillar cameras is not working. That happens when the sun is shining directly on the B pillar camera and when there are shadows flickering across the B pillar camera.

The Tesla "autopilot" also randomly jams on the brakes because it senses an obstacle on the road ahead, even though there is nothing there. At highway speeds, it scares the crap out of me and could easily cause an accident.

I absolutely refuse to use the "autopilot" when I drive that car. And I put autopilot in quotes because that device is not really capable of autonomous function. At least, I don't trust it to work autonomously. At best, it should be labeled as, and used as, a driver's aid.
Yeah, the brake assist warning feature on my M2 panics too. I damn near got rear ended a few years back in heavy traffic on I5 when someone merged into my lane. Yes, the slot was slim but I was doing about 20, he was doing about 20, and the dude behind me was doing about 20. In otherwords, distances were short becuase you know, bumper to bumper traffic, but we were all matched speed wise and had it under control. My M panicked and mashed on the brakes causing the guy behind me to panic brake and nearly hit me. I'm sure the guy behind him did the same and nearly hit him. I'm not sure if the BMW system looks for turn signals in the next lane over as a clue that the car ahead may be merging into your lane? In this case the guy didnt signal his intent to come into my lane. BUT I was not caught unaware because in true human fashion, he actually turned his head to look and we made eye contact. I could see him turning his steering wheel: Human, 1 point. BMW brake Assist, 0.
Appreciate 0