03-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #385
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Interesting to see about 1/2 way through the video when the Tesla encounters double parked cars and autopilot allows the car to cross over into the oncoming lane to get around. I wonder if it would have done the same on a double yellow center line. probably not. it's a pretty smart system and I have zero doubt that Tesla autopilot on a dark, rainy, night has better vision than my aging eyes.
Well, I'd not be so sure. I have a work colleague, a systems engineer, serious tech-head who bought a Model 3 for the tech and the self-driving capability. His car is a 2019 issue.

When I periodically ask how the self-driving mode is working, he has pointed out several times that at night and in inclement weather, and especially in construction zones, the Autopilot system gives up and asks for human override. Poorly marked lanes and rough pavement surfaces, such as milled pavement, wreak havoc with the sensors and Autopilot returns to the better-adapted interface, the human sitting in the driver's seat. I don't think the AI in Tesla's Autopilot can match the NI (natural intelligence) of the experienced human driver. While your aged eyes may not be what they used to be, your brain has massive amounts of stored data it can instantly recall, and make up with experience, what your eyes may be lacking in a particular situation.

Humans can drive cars better than computers, it's just humans can easily degrade into lack of interest... As we falsely add safety systems to cars, the level of a false sense of security increases and the concern for self-responsibility decreases, which leaves the driver vulnerable when the tech fails him.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1