02-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
My M5 should arrive to my dealer in the Midwest sometime in March...at which time I'll need to get it shipped to me in Texas. I'd started to do a little research on transport carriers and also reached out to my dealer. In talking to my CA, they have a few carriers they utilize frequently, but they are all open transport trailers. I was planning on shipping the car enclosed, but my CA seems to think that open with their preferred carriers is fine.

I had heard a few horror stories about cars picking up damage on the front end from road debris while in transport on open trailers. But I also know BMW ships their cars on open trailers...so maybe it's okay.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is road debris unlikely while shipping on an open transport? The price difference between open and enclosed is about $600...so price isn't an issue.
They should have arranged a courtesy delivery with a dealer by where you live

BMW would have dropped the car off to a local dealer even if purchased from an out of state dealer

I do it all the time - get courtesy delivery where I live on ordered cars from out of state dealer

Edit: If it's not on a boat yet they can have the car shipped from BMW to your local dealer still. You may have to pay for the PDI but lots cheaper and less pita then shipping from midwest