MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Hi MJE60,

Thank you for your reply and for the answers.

In fact I didn't bought the door handles, because I just want the smart opening for the trunk.
So, I have al the external antenas (3 pcs), wire sensors, smart opening unit, cables.
A technician from a bmw service center made all the connections and the codings, but I saw it using ISTA+. Is the same as E-Sys ?
I'm not coding myself... I don't even know what is VO, I-step and so on.

Getting back to my questions, should I understand that my BDC can be programmed for Access Comfort or not?
Should I buy a new BDC with s322a already coded / enabled ?

Thank you in advance for your time, knowledge and kind help.

Regards
Hi
Before I reply to your questions I want to go back to basics. You said your BDC was not recognising the antenna, this will be either hardware/physical issue or a software/interface issue. You said a BMW technician fitted using ISTA, so it is probable that wiring, fitting and parts have been checked and correct. This is why my first reply was to check wiring then look at software/interface. If software/interface is the problem then it can be calibration, activation, security feature/lock or coding/enabling. I assumed if ISTA and diagnostic tools were used it is not calibration or activation and the technician should have easily known if security (like keys) was needed, so this left enabling/coding as most likely area.. Most features on BMW, including fitting new hardware require coding/enabling. Full option features like s322 require enabling using VO or FDL coding and the tool used for this is E-Sys. This is why I asked about VO coding . The risk of course is that the antenna have not been fitted correctly and I am causing a distraction. Only you can know if you are certain, fitting and installation are 100% o.k.

Now to reply to your last post/questions

Firstly ISTA+ and E-sys are both powerful BMW tools, ISTA is used mainly for service/workshop diagnostics and repairs as well as programming ECU’s , you can VO (Vehicle Order) code with ISTA+ but E-sys allows both VO and FDL (more detailed and flexible) coding and is the main coding tool used for enabling features and adjusting functions.

The important point is VO coding can tell the car that it had a feature like comfort access build as part of it’s factory order (FA) and therefore enable it, but for VO coding to work, ALL parts must be fitted so the car hardware is like it would have been if you had ordered comfort access from the factory. If you have not fitted door handles then I am not sure your car can have been VO coded. If your car has not been VO coded then I do not believe you can get S322 to work but I am not 100% certain, so sorry, you will have to ask the experts. VO coding will code all necessary modules not just the BDC, with comfort access there are a number of modules which will require coding changes and of course you fitted a new module (smart opener control unit) which the other modules have to be told is there.

My thoughts from what you have written are that I am surprised a BMW technician using ISTA+ would not have sorted this but perhaps they did the work they knew and missed something, they certainly should have be able to diagnose why the BDC was not recognising the antenna. Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable on ISTA+ so I do not know if the technician could have coded s322 without all parts being fitted (or perhaps just enable the smart boot/trunk opening to work without enabling full S322), I strongly doubt it but am not certain.

Buying a new BDC would not be cost effective and also pointless, I believe it is a restricted part and has to be VIN coded anyway, the BDC will work using the car FA (factory order configuration), effectively a new BDC would have to be VO coded, so better just VO code your car with existing BDC. IMO, I think for the BDC and other modules to be able activate comfort access, it has to be VO coded and without this they will not even try to communicate with/recognise certain parts like the new antenna, because they do not know they are there or that the function is required.

There are many people who can remotely VO code but I am certain all necessary hardware (including CA door handles) have to be fitted first. E-sys can still be used to help diagnose a problem, if you enter a new element/function like s322 it will check if required hardware, modules and software is there, it will report errors/problems, so can be very useful. I suggest you try and contact the experts and get their opinion, they will definitely be able to tell you who to ask.

My very best wishes, so sorry I cannot help more.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-30-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0