View Single Post
      07-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #19
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep
Drives: '16 M5 6spd; '13 Audi S4 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post
I am really tired of this conversation but since the 6-speed with the S63 is such a rare combination that I truly think is not only amazing but is the last-of-a-breed, I'll weigh in.

People often use traffic, or long distance drives, or the fast shifts as their justification for the DCT, and they aren't wrong. There are strong points to the DCT that cannot be ignored.

However, I strongly disagree with anyone who says the 6-speed feels out of place on this car. That's just not true. These cars are the true spiritual successor to the E39 M5 and I feel BMW actually did a great job with the 6-speed on these cars. I think the Rogue SSK makes for a nice change, and PLEASE make sure you do the CLUTCH VALVE BYPASS because it makes a significant difference. A few changes, and I'm telling you, it makes for an absolutely amazing car that has very few equals in today's market. You will absolutely love 3 pedals with this motor. The gearing is really good, the trans has some notchy-ness but is tough as nails and I think very well suited to this motor in these cars.

I've owned my F13 for 3.5 years now, it's my 55th or 56th car, and I can tell you it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Yes, the DCT is faster and more "convenient" but the shear joy I get out of this car which is not only because of the 3pedals (but definitely requires them) is hard to articulate. It's extremely difficult to find these cars with 3 pedals but absolutely worth it. You cannot be concerned concern is not having an auto mode and not who's got the fastest shifts (which the new ZF cars have beat anyways).

I've raced e-gear, ZF auto, and DCT cars, etc - which are clearly faster between shifts, but I'm happy to row my own gears and actually be a part of the race rather than just hit the gas. At the end, to each their own, but if you love a good manual car, you're hard pressed to find a real competitor that offers the modern luxuries/amenities of the F10 with such a nicely sorted manual box attached.

My two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post
I am really tired of this conversation but since the 6-speed with the S63 is such a rare combination that I truly think is not only amazing but is the last-of-a-breed, I'll weigh in.

People often use traffic, or long distance drives, or the fast shifts as their justification for the DCT, and they aren't wrong. There are strong points to the DCT that cannot be ignored.

However, I strongly disagree with anyone who says the 6-speed feels out of place on this car. That's just not true. These cars are the true spiritual successor to the E39 M5 and I feel BMW actually did a great job with the 6-speed on these cars. I think the Rogue SSK makes for a nice change, and PLEASE make sure you do the CLUTCH VALVE BYPASS because it makes a significant difference. A few changes, and I'm telling you, it makes for an absolutely amazing car that has very few equals in today's market. You will absolutely love 3 pedals with this motor. The gearing is really good, the trans has some notchy-ness but is tough as nails and I think very well suited to this motor in these cars.

I've owned my F13 for 3.5 years now, it's my 55th or 56th car, and I can tell you it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Yes, the DCT is faster and more "convenient" but the shear joy I get out of this car which is not only because of the 3pedals (but definitely requires them) is hard to articulate. It's extremely difficult to find these cars with 3 pedals but absolutely worth it. You cannot be concerned concern is not having an auto mode and not who's got the fastest shifts (which the new ZF cars have beat anyways).

I've raced e-gear, ZF auto, and DCT cars, etc - which are clearly faster between shifts, but I'm happy to row my own gears and actually be a part of the race rather than just hit the gas. At the end, to each their own, but if you love a good manual car, you're hard pressed to find a real competitor that offers the modern luxuries/amenities of the F10 with such a nicely sorted manual box attached.

My two cents.
Can you explain the reason Clutch Valve Bypass to someone who recently bought a F10 manual? Or link to explain? Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0