06-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #12
mr_dennis_s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
I did one track day with my 2018 Base M5 at Buttonwillow in SoCal. I have the steel brakes and had no issues with fade in 20 min sessions. I was in the advanced intermediate group (group 3 out of 4, with 4 being advanced) and I was the fastest lap in the group. I have a dozen track days under my belt and was easily beating the track prepped GT mustangs, a 991 carerra S, an elise, evos, M3's etc. The speed coming out the corners is just insane in MDM sport mode. My corner exit speed seemed like it was at least 6 or 7mph faster than current model M4's. Track work destroys the tires though. I have the Pirelli's and I think you can get 2 track days with about 80 min of hard driving each day. The M5 is not an ideal track car due to the extreme weight, but it can certainly hold its own among legit sports cars. I did nothing in terms of prep aside from making sure my tire pressures were all at 36psi cold and let air out to 40 psi hot.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you had a great experience. I will play around with MDM mode. I know the M5 is a heavy car and thought about picking up something lighter like a Lotus Evora 400 but I bought the M5 because it can do it all. Might as well see what it can do. Awesome to hear you had the fastest time of the group.
Appreciate 0