View Single Post
      05-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #43
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Speed is heavily enforced and policed because it is a great way for plugging budget holes. The speed limit is set lower than the normal flow of traffic so you're easily able to mop up quick revenue picking off people at random and treating it all like a normal transaction.

People who have bought into the idea will tell you that speed is dangerous even though the majority of crashes happen at speeds lower than 35MPH in the US. And in urban areas the majority of fatalities are under that speed as well.

Obviously, speed can increase the severity of a crash (that's simple physics), but the reality is driving slower than traffic is more dangerous and the most important thing to do on the road is to be predictable and follow norms.

We'd be far better served in police enforcement of traffic related laws was actually geared toward improving road safety. Ticketing people for blocking the passing lane, impeding traffic by driving slower than the flow of traffic, failing to signal, tailgating, and working to ensure that drivers are taking the act of driving seriously -- especially putting down their phones.

But those things actually take real work. You can't just sit in a car waiting for a radar to bing while you watch cat videos on your phone.
Kinetic energy = 1/2*m*v^2

You can't cheat physics. Kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared. If you crash in a C class at 191 MPH they will be hunting for body parts at the accident scene.

I am for relaxing speed limits, but 191 is INSANE for a street car on a public road. This isn't an unrestricted section of the Autobahn. I would want my tires and car checked out quickly before I attempt to cruise at 191 for any length of time. Were the tires even rated for that? Plenty of owners put cheap tires on after the OEMs wear out.
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9747.50
Alfisti6574.00
euro*1662.00