BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
458 VS NSX review. I posted on Fchat originally and I'm reposting here:

PM
Today was a nice day and I was able to spend time driving both cars in a variety of scenarios. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Anyway, here's the review:

Acceleration/Performance: This is a tough one, they're damn close. Above 4500 RPM the 458 has instant power and pulls hard. So chaotic is the experience that it's hard to get to redline in gears 2-4. Above 130 mph (done on closed course the 458 continues to pull but feels light like its dancing. The NSX is super quick too, also needs to be in the right rev range. It pulls possibly harder than the 458 but then loses steam towards the top of the rev range and the range is lower. It has a smaller range of fun. Launch control in the NSX is VERY easy to engage and VERY fun. 458 is faster above 130 mph than the NSX.

Steering: 458 wins, but it's close. I love the feel of both steering wheels. The 458 has more feel but neither has a tremendous amount. Both are good in this regard. 458
Dances way more and makes you feel one with the car.

Brakes: NSX wins. CCBs give a lot of feedback (amazingly) and don't require any warming up to get them to work. The Ferrari brakes needs to be warm to work well. They require a lot of pressure when cold.

Sound: 458 is on a different planet. Far better and louder.

Transmission: NSX wins, but pulling Ferrari paddles are more satisfying and the Ferrari downshifts way harder in RACE. The NSX is way smoother though and definitely seems like a 2nd generation of DCT at low speeds especially.

Interior/comfort: 458 is way roomier inside and with bumpy road mode is just as comfortable of a ride. Seats are comfortable in both but 458 seats hug me better. Both could be driven daily. 458 is also way easier to get in and out. The NSX doors are so freaking long they're ridiculous. I've looked like an idiot getting out sometimes.

Tech: NSX is way better. The tech of the 458 is definitely last generation and the phone integration is very poor. The lack of the ability to have Apple Car Play or play Spotify on the 458 stinks but I didn't buy the car to play music. NSX phone integration is some of the best in the business.

Styling: 458 wins for me, not a bad angle, seriously. I like the NSX a lot too however (obviously since I bought it) but 458 is more timeless and beautiful. It will turn heads in 10 years.

Feeling: NSX feels, well, like an Acura some what. Reliable, kind of plasticky, solid even though it's fast as hell. 458 feels special. Far less sound deadening means you hear all the stones that hit the underside so you tend to drive more carefully, instinctively trying to protect the car. It shakes more. Dances with you. Makes me smile and happy and nervous at the same time. It's just an amazing machine.
This review is well written but decidedly lacking of photos
Appreciate 0