08-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #162
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn A View Post
Understatement of the year.

Mclaren invited me to a local track day to try out the 720s and 570s on track. And i was allowed to bring my performante, and good thing that i did because both 720s had major component failures before lunch and 2 of the 3 570s didnt make it the remaining 5 hours either.

My close friend picked up a 720 at the same time i picked up my performante, i have put on over 8 times the miles since then and thats in large part due to him being towed back to the dealership undriveable 12 (yes 12) times in 8 months.

Another close friend has a 570S and after 7 months traded it in on the a 488 because it never made it a month between service visits.
This has been my experience as well. A friend of mine was test driving a 720S - with the Sales Rep in the car - and the headliner went loose and flopped in front of his (and the SR's) heads while they were driving in traffic. There is a reason their values plummet like rocks - unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Mclaren is getting any better in the QC department. They're so fast and capable, of they could sort that out it would be great.
I tell those here - that if a 720S was made well, didn't keep breaking versus letting me drive the car - and didn't cost so much to maintain - I would have likely went for it. There is nothing in its performance universe - stock at least. That said - it would have been a stretch cost-wise if the situation was they were well-made as I wouldn't be about to pick one up for about 100K less than msrp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
McLaren 570S/MSRP
From CAN$229000

From CAN$217,200
Porsche 911 Turbo S

From CAN$184,200
Porsche 911 Turbo
These are real numbers of course - but there is something missing; options. My TTS only had about 17K in options - and the Turbo S comes pretty loaded. The Mclaren however - I priced out a 650S back in the day as well - can easily pile on 40-60K of upgrades.
Appreciate 0