07-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Professor MSP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 (981) Porsche Boxster GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Anyone tried the Firestone FIREHAWK INDY 500? Being told they are stickier than the Michelin PSS's.
Last week I had a local shop swap out the OE Continental Sport Contact 3s for the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. I had approximately 12,000 miles on the Continental tires. The fronts had another 10,000 miles in them, whereas the rears likely only had another 1000. The Continentals were making an incredible racket that proved to be unbearable.

I only have 100 (or so) miles on the Firestones, so it is too soon to render a comprehensive evaluation of them. But here is what I can say at this time.

1. They are quiet, both relative to the Continentals and absolutely.
2. Their impact harshness is greatly reduced relative to the Continentals, about on par with the Michelin PS4S on my 2015 Boxster GTS, which are excellent.
3. They are much more grippy than the Continentals. For example, with the Continentals I could "paint a parallel stripe" on the tarmac through the first two gears. In contrast, the few times I tried the same with the Firestones, the tires would break loose in first gear, and then only briefly, but they did not beak loose at all in second gear.

I paid $632 for two 255/35/19 and two 275/35/19 Firestone tires, after the Tire Rack $60 rebate. The fact that I went 10mm wider with the Firestones may partly explain my observations in 3 above.

Hope this helps.