03-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #35
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
I contacted Brembo a while ago and this was their response:

The coating used at the BMW M caliper has an oxidation as a base layer and on top a liquid paint. This paint can change its color if it is being confronted with higher temperatures. The paint code is GOLD 1PR (no correspondence to Pantone references etc..).

Unfortunately the paint code GOLD 1PR does not provide us more information if it only used internally by Brembo.

On their website are also 5 reason why not the use repainted calipers:
https://www.brembo.com/en/company/ne...alipers-brembo
None of those reasons are sound reasons to avoid repainted calipers - particularly if you know the caliper's origins. It's very likely just marketing from Brembo to buy new vs refinishing.

When you rebuild a caliper to replace boots and seals you almost disassemble it down to a bare caliper anyway so scuffing the caliper and applying fresh paint isn't much more work. So long as the piston buckets and bleeder/crossover ports are covered/plugged its fine.

I can't speak for brembo but ST anodizes their calipers and then applies their painted finish above that.

If you get any brake caliper remotely hot they will discolor unless that color is black.
Appreciate 0