02-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #43
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I kind of like the idea of the ignition box. It's hardware that's meant to do one job. But I spoke with ttfs and they've tuned these ignition systems before, and told me they can do this without any issue. Regarding the engine cover, I think it's ugly. I'd rather look at the huge blue Hulk Hogan style ignition blocks. LoL 😋
Ahh I see, for me I really hate the additional electronics that come between the ECU and what the car (in this case ignition coils) are supposed to do. It adds an extra failure point and I want the ecu to be in direct control.

I love the engine cover lol, it keeps the engine bay less busy and more clean imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I found some conflicting info on their site regarding the N55:

Why choose Precision Raceworks
By designing our own coil we were able to take into account the available dwell time of the N55 as well as the IGBT system being built into the DME. We were even able to take into consideration the ohm load of the factory BMW coil that came in the N55. What this means is our coil looks exactly like the factory coil to the DME maintaining all functions allowing the computer to monitor and react as designed by the engineers at BMW.

Summary
o Precision Raceworks coils are designed specifically for your car

o DME Flashing Not Required
o Designed for optimal dwell time available

o More energy output than any other coil tested

250% more energy than the BMW coil pack
Maybe it looks exactly the same to the ecu when the dwell box is in place, but from what I was reading when they launched there was a whole thread talking about dwell table alterations to make the coils work without the ignition driver box. Then the MHD guys added it in as a one tick option for the MHD flasher.

It'd be nice if BM3 did this as well especially since they have a one tick global XDI HPFP selection. It'd be cool if they could do MAFLESS (speed density) as a one click global map selection as well, but from what I've heard speed density is extremely difficult to do as a check box option.