View Single Post
      02-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

I'm on oem 18" 255 all around Continental set up. Great grip on dry pavement but not so much on snow covered roads. I'm assuming it's because of High performance winter tires which as I can see all of us have.

I had E39 540i and E92 335is, both rwd and winter driven but with dedicated snow tires, Dunlop Graspic ds3. Speed limit was only 160km/h and they were soft, and spongy with some traction control interventions on dry roads, especially during spirited take offs. It took some time getting used to it after using pilot sports. Tread depth was bigger, when I sold them after 4 seasons and around 15tkm they still had 6mm left while Continental brand new comes with only 7mm.
In snow conditions, both cars were plowing snow. Stopping and taking off uphill without hesitation, never needed to turn the traction control off.

Width is somewhat important but it's more about tire compound and age. Ideal would be to have two sets of winter tires, one with performance set for dry and the other one with snow dedicated tires.
Appreciate 0