01-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I travel a LOT and I can say I can't agree with you. I am usually shocked when I notice another driver go out of their way to make life easier for someone else with no benefit to them. I do the same - try and stay out of right lanes in town that have no dedicated turn lane, crowd forwarded when I find myself in one to let others turn behind me when possible, crowd up in turn lanes to keep them from overflowing into the oncoming lanes stopping passing traffic, sliding over when I see someone trying to enter the flow of traffic, etc. No matter where I travel to (in the States especially) I do not notice many others that do the same and get excited the few times a year that I do see it. When I do I always make it a point to honk and/or wave to them in thanks.

I wish there were more of us, but we are by far the minority and riders with me laugh sometimes that it would never even enter their minds to wonder what someone else was trying to do.

I do see it much more in Europe, especially in Germany where the flow of traffic seems to be everyone's goal. Here in the states it seems to be more of a competition where people get upset because you want to driver faster than them even when it does not affect them at all. Never understood that. Keep the flow moving and we ALL benefit.

Glad there is more of this where you live - maybe there is hope yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Unfortunately, I must agree as well. Today I was in a two lane road (each direction) waiting for the light to change. I was in the left lane as I was going to turn left shortly after the intersection.

There was a car waiting to make a right turn at the intersection (other direction). As the light changed the car made his right turn going two lanes over to get in front of me whereupon he slowed up. No reason in the world why he either didn't simply wait (there was no one behind me) or go into the right lane rather than jumping two lanes. Only possible explanation is that he is either clueless or totally selfish.

I always try to watch behind me and make room when possible. In Arizona, two cars are permitted to line up in the intersection at a red light to make a left turn. I always pull as much up as I can to make room for another car behind me but it is amazing how many drivers simply wait at the lane markings and either don't go at all or then go after it is no longer safe and no one behind them can proceed.

Simple rules of the road that are in every driver's manual I have ever seen: drive to the right until you are either all the way over or moving at the pace of the traffic. Duh! Not brain surgery. Yet I see drivers randomly driving in every lane forcing faster cars to go back and forth to the left and right.

But enough of my rant.
It’s disappointing if that’s the case, but of course i shouldn’t be surprised that YMMV.

People don’t even try to move over to give you space after a friendly toot and wave to signal your intentions? Sometimes i have to do that and the person usually obliges. This is South Florida, btw, where otherwise people are the most dangerous driving, oblivious assholes 🤔
Appreciate 1
unluky7576.50