View Single Post
      07-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
cantstopthefeeling
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
One of the points I was trying to make earlier is that with the way ED works, if the battery is <80% SOC, nothing may in fact be changing when the blue bar lights so the correlation may be false.

I have a $2 direct-from-china digital lighter-socket voltmeter in the car so it's easy for me to throw that in and see what's going on. It's a great tool for everyone to have in the car to see if anything weird is going on. Anyways - a lot of people might be surprised that they're at 14.8VDC "regenerative braking" all the time.

If there's no change in system voltage because it's high-charging all the time, then it's time to chase something other than the alternator. If road speed has no bearing, that rules out a lot of stuff too, frankly. Maybe it's a fuel pump thing and when the engine fuel consumption goes to zero there's a noise? A lot of fuel pumps make some really high pitched noises.

Ok, so next I am going to get a lighter socket voltage reader. I will report back the voltage before hearing the sound, and will see exactly what the voltage is when I start to hear the sound. I suspect there might be a difference, but we will see soon! Thanks again everyone for chiming in. I really would love to get this resolved.
Appreciate 0