04-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonba View Post
You are a bit weird.

"Fastest around the lap was the Pirelli, in 84.13sec, just over a second faster than the second-placed Michelin (85.27sec). They both felt grippy and exploitable, but subjectively the Michelin was preferred. It offered lots of grip and tactile feedback, letting you know how hard you were pushing. You could be accurate with it, turn-in was crisp and the rear would swing because the front was so hooked up. The Pirelli gave a less complete performance, feeling distinctly average in a straight line but great when turning. The rear was loose but the front found the mid-corner traction to pull the car out of corners like no other. Uncanny. Not the best feel but undeniably effective."

"Unusually, the same tyre sets the pace in the dry as it did in the wet – the Pirelli. And, as in the wet, the second-placed tyre, the Michelin, felt better to drive. It gave the best steering feel – sharp, connected, direct – and although there was some adjustability it wasn’t needed because it turned in so well, held the line and took power early. It gets the best out of the Golf and is quiet, too. The Pirelli does everything the Michelin does – finds every apex, hugs the line, drives out of turns well and isn’t noisy – but is let down by dulling the steering and being less engaging."

Yes, I did say the tyres perform better in cold/moist because that is what I read. Now, low and behold the Pirelli performed over a second faster in the wet than the Michelin.

And in the dry.....0.14s. So yes, it seems like on a circuit they are faster.

They also out stopped the Michelin by a whole.......10cm

The Michelins won the comparison simply because they got a higher score in aquaplaning and for steering feel (which the M5 lacks anyway).
The difference is minimal based on Evo's and you are disregarding SportAuto's review which shows a substantial difference compared to Evo's.

So now you are just talking about performance in the wet, not in the cold. Well, Sport Auto states that the Michelin beats the Pirelli in both wet handling and wet braking.

Btw, I'm not surprised you likely don't own a E63S; a fanboy of the E63S yes, owner of a Merc yes
Appreciate 0