stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
This make me wonder what the F90 M5 would have been like if it was RWD only and instead featured new advanced traction management technology with stickier and wider rear tires with less weight over the front axle, less weight overall, and improved steering characteristics that are also found in this rare RWD version of the Audi R8.

The author states that he would get this R8 RWS and forget every other R8 offered because it's just that much more engaging to drive.

Or at least imagine this. If BMW offered two different versions of the F90 M5, one with AWD that retains the MxDrives ability to switch to RWD on the fly and a pure RWD only version optimized for a more engaging driving experience. Which would you choose? I would imagine it would be like choosing between a 911 Turbo S and a 911 GT3RS, or maybe even a GT2RS?

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/aud...ith-a-dilemma/
I don't think there is much inspiration BMW can draw from the R8.

The R8 is rear--mounted mid-engined with a short wheel base. This configuration works well because there is plenty of weight over the rear wheels to ensure traction. The same is true of the McLarens and rear-engined Ferraris.

The M5 is long wheel base and front-mounted engine. This means there is far too little weight over the rear axle.

There is nothing BMW can do with clever electronics to offset the traction disadvantage of a RWD M5. Nothing other than give it AWD.
Appreciate 0