08-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #31
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
As I understand, some (or perhaps all of them?) tuning solutions increase water pump speed to compensate for higher engine cooling requirements.
Would that effectively shorten pump's lifespan (as opposed to stock?)
Dinan does; others probably do, too.
The "water pump is electrically driven and varies output based on instructions from the engine computer. Under the best circumstances the pump drives only as much coolant as needed and will shut down or activate as load and performance demands change (combustion chamber temperatures are dynamically changed based on economy, normal, and performance demands). The pump can also run when the car is off to reduce heat soak in the engine and turbo(s). " (Turner Motorsports listing for P/N 11517632426.)

I'd say, yes, turning it up could cause it to wear out faster. Better that than damaging the rest of the engine with heat! But it already turns itself up as needed so I doubt it's a significant factor for most of our street-driven, tuned vehicles.
JB4 with always-running pump issue not withstanding.
Appreciate 0