View Single Post
      07-06-2017, 02:35 AM   #134
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
It's interesting, because I had DCT on my 2010 135, and PDK on my 981 CS, and both cars would "creep" forward.

In my ZCP M3, it doesn't do anything until you press the throttle, which has taken some getting used to. I am not sure that aspect of the DCT going away would bother me too much...
That aspect isn't going away. Like M-DCT and PDK-S, brake release does not engage forward creep automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Could be, but since the number is compared with other DCT equivalents, they are likely measuring time of o the identical mechanical process. Getrag isn't the fastest shifting DCT I've seen; I imagine it is due to some reliability compromise that comes with higher shifting speed.

DCT engages and disengages clutch simultaneously because the it has dual clutches(lol) where torque converter has to lock up gear each time; it is inherently slower, although I will point out that with the perfect balance of engine and powertrain, ZF also could be fast. I just do not like the less connected feel of torque converter since it moves on its own after releasing the brake.
PDK is not 7ms - 8ms for a gear change. I don't know of any Transmission capable of such and that's faster than any No-Interrupt Electrical Transfer Switch can achieve. Porsche publish "less than 100ms" for gear changes in the Lightning Shift mode on PDK-S, and "less than 200ms" on PDK in Sport with Chrono.

The torque converter does not "lock up gear each time". It goes to 100% lock from a standstill before 1000rpm in Sport+. It does not unlock again while in motion, even during a shift. Only the shifting elements after the TC manipulate shifts and they are sequential, overlap, clutch-to-clutch through the full range.

What vehicles with this same transmission have you driven?
Appreciate 0