05-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #101
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
question: is the rwd mode enabled only if you disable DSC?
Yes, with DSC on you get the normal AWD mode and when you switch to MDM stability control mode, you also get AWD Sport. They're claiming that the system feels enough like a RWD car that there wouldn't be any point to switch to full RWD mode unless you want to drift, do burnouts, etc. (or dyno test the car) and in all of those scenarios, you would probably have DSC fully off anyways. It would be cool to have full RWD in MDM mode as an option but oh well.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on what we know so far, this all seems like pretty great news in my opinion for the type of vehicle that the M5 is. I think a lot of the issues people have with traditional automatic transmissions come down to the way they are set up and programmed, I can't wait to drive this thing and see how it all comes together.

The way they describe this M xDrive system reminds me a lot of the Nissan GTR, I'm sure the physical implementation will be different but the GTR uses a similar concept where the vehicle is essentially RWD unless it detects or predicts rear wheel spin when it engages a clutch to send power to the front axle. That car does not have an RWD-only mode but it does a good job of mimicking the feeling a RWD car, even kicking the tail out sideways before the front wheels start to pull the car if you give it a lot of throttle pre-apex in a corner.
Appreciate 0