View Single Post
      04-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

May get slammed (2nd post) - why the m2?

Hi All,

I'm a car guy and believe the M2 is a great car. But i just dont see it being something that is going to be tough to get. Maybe within the next 30-60 days but not much further out than that. There are 12 or so listed on autotrader at msrp even before the car is "available". Part of the reason its this big secret of when, how many. how often etc. is likely do to the fact it isnt even out yet. Dealers want to sell whats out, it doesnt help them much to know every detail about an unreleased car. I predict Its going to depreciate like any other car and you'll see used ones available pretty quickly.

I get there are long wait lists but putting your name on a wait list and actually stroking a check for 57k are 2 entirely different things.

You have to consider what else you can buy for 50-60k. Used 2015 M4's can be had at that price point. And i understand not everyone thinks an M4 is the better car but its still an option. same with cayman s, rs5, c7 etc. Again, not definitively better cars, but options the buyer has.

I remember when the i8 was announced, wait lists+huge markup... the c7 was 20k over msrp. now both examples can be had well below msrp. this pretty much happens with many newly released cars and most the hype, anticipation, and sense of exclusivity is on the forums. BMW is in the money making business and if someone willing to pay for the car they are going to get them one (obviously excluding limited runs)

I'm torn between an m235i, m2, 435i w/ m performance, and m4 and to be honest i think i have the toughest time justifying the m2. If i go new i typically lease which is horrible for m2, if i buy i try to get same or 1 year old model year which isnt an option for the m2. You can get a 89k msrp m4 for 63k or a 52k m235i for 38k-40k. Why would we think that the m2 is not going to follow the same path of availability and resale depreciation. Isnt it fair to assume the m235i and the m4 or good basis of comparison. So wouldnt it be fair to think these cars will be sellign under msrp and avialable on the used market within 6-12 months?

With the m2 release the m235i has got to take a hit in terms of resale and i dont see the m4 going much into the 30k mark even 5 years from now.

those of you that ordered and have paid what other cars did you consider? or you buying because you have concluded its the perfect car for you or because of another reason like perceived value down the road. FYI...this car is for the wife to daily drive and me to have fun with when i want.
Appreciate 0