View Single Post
      12-09-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

BMW paint and stone chips

I feel like I'm going mad here. My 4 week old car seems to be a magnet for rocks and stones on the road. This is just mind boggling when I've been driving the same roads for years with various cars and none have exhibited the damage my new Sapphire Black X5 has.

I had my last car, an Audi SQ5 in Glacier (Metallic) White for 2 years and 25,000KM. In that time I discovered 2 stone chips on the center of the front bumper, and no others across the entire car. I wash my cars myself so often get a chance to closely inspect the paint.

I can accept that clearly a white car is going to show less damage, but this is ridiculous. If the Audi had the kind of paint the BMW has, regardless of color, I'd have picked up on all of the marks on the paintwork. They simply weren't there as far as I'm concerned.

The roads I drive are basically motorways in slow traffic most of the time. I'm certainly not cruising around dirt tracks or unsealed roads, and we don't have winters like you see in Europe and the US. I just can't explain it and it's just got me pretty damn confused.

In 2500km;

Passenger door
2 nicks lower half
2 nicks upper half

Drivers door
2 nicks lower half
1 chip front corner of the hip line

Front bumper
2 small indentations in the paint/plastic

Drivers mirror
2 nicks on mirror housing

A pillar
1 small nick outside edge

I was planning on spending the $2k AUD to cover the front bumper, bonnet and front fenders with XPEL, but this would have done absolutely nothing for the drivers and passenger doors. Rant over - just disappointed that so many have happened in the first month of ownership.

Curious, can Black Sapphire be color matched easily or does it only end in a mess?

I'm just curious about whether or not, say a month from now, when there are another 10 stone chips, if it will even be worth re-painting a whole or part of a door/panel? Seems the only full proof say is to literally wrap the entire car in XPEL.

Last edited by elisiX; 12-09-2015 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0