View Single Post
      01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
MM328i
Bimmerhead
Rep
Drives: 328i

Keep 2007 328i? Need advice.

Yes, another "should I keep my car thread", but I could really use some advice from the community. I have a 2007 328i with roughly 47.5K miles. I've taken pretty good care of it, oil changes every 8,000 miles or so, taken care of maintenance as computer warranted, TLC, etc. My CPO runs out Jan. 2013. I feel that I've been unlucky with the car, given the following:

1. N51 Valve ticking. Dealer replaced lifters 12,000 miles ago, and while I have not had any ticking, save for literally one day a while ago, I'm expecting to need a new cylinder head at some point. At this rate, it will probably happen outside of warranty.
2. Alternator died. Dealer replaced, but apparently during the job the mass air flow sensor was throwing errors, so they replaced it if my memory serves. Even if it was not replaced, something occurred with the Mass Air Flow sensor which could potential cause issues down the way.
3. Steering wheel squeaked, so they replaced SZL module under CPO.
4. Rear door actuator died, replaced under CPO warranty.
5. Was experiencing slow cranks. I took it in, and while I thought it was the starter, they diagnosed a dying battery, which they replaced at $400. Still had slow cranks, as well as the starter bendix hitting the fly wheel causing a loud screech during start up on occasion. They replicated the issue, and replaced starter.
6. While changing starter, it looks as if they found a faulty, oil leaking belt tensioner, so that was replaced under CPO.
7. My air conditioner is making a growling noise, which increases at times as RPMs rise. It sounds as if the blower may be faulty/rusty?
8. My B Pillar is starting to make a terrible rattle noise, outlined in a TSB.
9. After software update because of SZL replacement, transmission has just not been the same. Not as responsive, borderline slipping at times. They say adaptive transmission points were reset, but that it's normal and that it will take time to readapt. I know that's true, but it's bothering me that the transmission is not acting as responsively as before.

I usually have leased cars, but I wanted to keep this BMW, maintain it, and have it paid for outright for several years. With the issues I have had, I feel as if this may be a bad idea given that my warranty ends in about a year. Can anyone provide me some insight on whether staying with this car may be a losing proposition? No one can predict my car's future, and for all I know once any outstanding issues my car has are fixed, it may be issue free for a long time. I don't see that as being likely at this point. I keep getting emails about getting a new BMW for the same monthly price I'm paying currently, hence I'm exploring my options.

Any insight from BMW Nation would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Last edited by MM328i; 01-24-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0