BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BIMMERPOST F90 M5 Track and Road Review

05-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

BIMMERPOST F90 M5 Track and Road Review

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BIMMERPOST F90 M5 Review
COMMENTS

BIMMERPOST has returned from Palm Springs where I sampled the new 2018 BMW M5 on both the street and the track. I spent the day driving on back roads surrounding The Thermal Club followed by guided track sessions at the facility. I had ample time to soak in the M5 and evaluate its breadth of abilities.

Let's start with the videos!

I was cruising along on a deserted stretch of back road around Palm Springs, California when I experienced the M5's full 600 horsepower for the first time. The road was straight as an arrow and there was nothing around me except miles of desert. I thumbed the M5 into M1 driving mode using the button on the steering wheel. M1 had my Sport Plus preset for power, suspension and transmission. I pulled twice on the left paddle, saw the revs rise to a satisfying 3500 rpm or so and then I buried the throttle.

The first sensation wasn't really acceleration but of my body being thrown back and then immediately caught by the sport seat. That the seat was so soft was actually a good thing because it felt like falling into a pillow. A split second later my eyes caught up and registered the unusual sensation of scenery blurring in my periphery and the horizon rapidly reeling in. This was the world on fast forward. As the velocity ramped up and the thrust continued, I couldn't help but let out a silly laugh.

I reached a pretty serious clip before I decided to let off. The M5's thrust had not abated and the risk versus reward ratio was rapidly slipping away. However, it didn't mean I couldn't slow down and do it again. So I did. Again and again I ran the M5 up and down the desert flats around Palm Springs, my body thrown hard by its warp-drive acceleration and then gently caught by its soft baseball glove of a seat. I was addicted.

I was grateful for the M5's bright and legible heads-up display because this was the kind of acceleration that demanded my full attention. If I had to look down, refocus my eyes, read the instruments and look up again, I would have covered a lot of distance with my eyes off the road. With pace like this, the HUD made a lot of sense.

As with previous M5s, its greatest initial charm is giving the driver access to outrageous performance without any notion of sacrifice or discomfort. That sensation of the scenery blurring and distance being distorted was a feeling I knew well from riding sport bikes but in the M5, I didn’t have to squeeze into leathers or put on a helmet. There was no yoga to perform to get into its seats. You slide in, buckle up, mash the loud pedal and in 6.6 seconds you’ve breached the 100mph barrier while being cocooned by supple leather and modern comforts worthy of a smart-home. The M5 is once again, the world’s fastest living room couch.

The difference compared to the previous M5 is not only in performance. Yes, it is way faster and its dynamics superior. That much you could have figured out from reading the press release. However, what’s most astonishing about the new M5 is how engaging it was to drive. It’s as if BMW M’s engineers are slowly but surely reverting to the way they used to do things, with steering that talks back to the driver and a chassis that communicates and flatters while they continue to chase gains on paper. They have fully returned the human driver to the equation.

The M5’s sound was a positive part of the experience. I had almost forgotten how much I adore the sound of BMW V8s. With a bass-y undertone punctuated by subtle hints of mechanical chatter, the M5’s engine and exhaust ejected a glorious, deep-chested rumble as I ripped through the gears. Yes, it could have been louder still and sure, the in-cabin soundtrack was partially synthesized but as they say in HBO’s Westworld: “If you can’t tell the difference, does it matter?”

A couple of minor blemishes spoiled my otherwise flawless street driving experience and both had to do with footwork. Firstly, the M5’s ceramic brakes felt extremely sensitive at the top of its brake pedal travel, which caused me to dive its nose somewhat abruptly at the entry of each corner. Having a sensitive initial travel is fine so long as the pedal’s resistance is proportionately firm. The M5’s brake pedal was not. A somewhat soft pedal combined with a sensitive response meant it took some time to settle my braking inputs before I could brake smoothly into corners. At the track, with greater braking forces and more determined braking I felt no such distraction and the M5’s brakes felt firm and worked flawlessly. On the street, you’ll take some time to get used to it.

Secondly, I did not like the way the accelerator pedal had a stop of increased resistance right at the end of its travel. This was the ‘kick down detent’ typically used in conventional automatics to force a down change. The electronics were plenty sophisticated enough to know when I needed a down change without resorting to the detent. So why has BMW kept this anachronism around? It was especially annoying at the track when I wanted fine throttle control near max throttle so I started to ignore it altogether and drove just shy of it. Did that mean I only ever got about 95% of max throttle? Perhaps. But without the detent, I would never have had to ask this question.

Speaking of down changes, BMW has forgone both the manual transmission as well as the automated dual-clutch DCT in favor of a conventional automatic for the M5. I was initially disappointed but after a day of driving, I stopped caring one way or another. In practice the new gearbox felt just as swift as any of the recent BMW M DCTs including those in the M2 and the M3. That is to say, not the absolute fastest gear changes in the industry, but perfectly quick enough to be satisfying. However, the M5’s automatic is actually lighter than the outgoing DCT, which no doubt contributes to the new car being lighter than the old one. This is doubly impressive because the new car carries all-wheel-drive hardware, a first for the M5.

Still, the M5 felt occasionally heavy. Not all of the time, because it hid its weight from me very well. With its sophisticated active dampers and a quick steering ratio, it felt surprisingly nimble and tossable in all of my street driving. The one situation where I was persistently reminded of its weight was under heavy braking, the kind I experienced repeatedly during my afternoon session at the track. The M5 stopped faithfully each and every time and I did not feel any overt signs of brake fade, but there was no denying the sensation of having a ton of momentum – over two tons, in fact – to overcome. I hopped into the Mini Cooper JCW immediately after my laps in the M5 and the Mini’s braking and direction changes were a revelation.

One area where the M5 excelled, above and beyond even the M3 and the M2, was in compliance. Not just compliance as in comfort, but compliance as in immutable stability. Think about jumping over rumble strips, mid corner, fully loaded and on the power. I did this once or twice at Thermal Driving Club and the M5 simply shrugged. I did something similar in the M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA last year, and the entire car slid a foot off line as a result. The M5, on the other hand, ate rumble strips for breakfast and held its line steadfast. It was astonishingly supple and forgiving. Brilliant.

I was also fascinated by the M5’s all-wheel-drive system. Its AWD mode comes in two flavors: AWD and AWD Sport. It can also be disabled altogether to revert to rear-wheel-drive. In AWD Sport mode, the system sends more power to the rear wheels to feel more rear-biased. On the street, both AWD modes were utterly transparent and were free from corruptions of the steering or chassis. There were no obvious giveaways that I was in an AWD car, other than the M5 being very grippy and stable at all times. At street pace, in the dry, you could drive pretty hard and not realize that the M5 wasn’t a rear-driver.

On the track, the AWD system made its presence more overt. BMW recommended pairing AWD Sport with MDM mode on the stability control, which is the halfway house between fully assisted and nothing at all. For the most part, this MDM mode worked well and was unobtrusive. Where the AWD interactions became obvious was when I hoofed on the throttle mid-corner. The rear tires did indeed break away first, but the corrective action differed from a true rear-driver. If I eased off the throttle as the slide began and steered into the slide to settle the car before getting back on the throttle to ‘ride the slide out’ like I would in an RWD machine, there would be an abrupt transition back into grip and I would spear off in the direction of the corrective steering. What the AWD M5 preferred was for me to maintain constant steering and throttle angle while it shunted power forward and sorted the slide out on its own. It didn’t require much from me and felt intuitive once I agreed to work with it. BMW said AWD Sport was also the quickest way around. Still, MDM mode was not conductive to aggressive corner exits because it did not allow too much rear slip angle. Whenever I tried to ‘ride the slide out’, I was restricted to reduced forward motion until rear slip had been curtailed. If you like being aggressive, you have to switch the DSC off. Better yet, try the M5 in rear-wheel-drive mode.

To get into RWD mode, you have to first turn DSC off. You cannot use rear-wheel-drive otherwise. The easiest way to do this is to hit the ‘setup’ button on the console and edit one of the M1 or M2 presets. Having DSC off to access rear-wheel-drive seemed like a novelty mode at first because it sounded like a ‘drift mode’. However, it is actually more like a legacy mode, where you get to enjoy all the best of the new M5 but as if it were an old school M5. When I put the M5 into rear-wheel-drive, it became more natural to steer with the throttle and I was freed from the mid-corner intrusion of AWD. I was able to ride out the corner exits to my heart’s content, with forward motion and rear slip in equal measure. It was unadulterated driving fun in a simpler, purer machine. Just like the M5s of old. It may not have been the fastest way around, but I savored every moment of the experience.

In sum, the M5 remains the transporter of the M lineup. Fast, stylish, compliant, a veritable rocket ship when you want it to be but a perfect limousine for everything else. There is ample technology but also enough layers of analogue experience for the keen driver to explore. The option of rear-wheel-drive feels polished and fully developed, like it could be driven everywhere like that. I love that BMW gives the driver a choice. It is addictively fast, impressively compliant and a masterpiece of engineering for the human in an electronic age. BMW has not forgotten its roots. Bravo!

Appreciate 24
      05-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
4BMWGarage
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you

Really enjoyed to watch the videos
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Great review!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
BIMMERPOST has returned from Palm Springs where I sampled the new 2018 BMW M5 on both the street and the track. I spent the day driving on back roads surrounding The Thermal Club followed by guided track sessions at the facility. I had ample time to soak in the M5 and evaluate its breadth of abilities.

I was cruising along on a deserted stretch of back road around Palm Springs, California when I experienced the M5's full 600 horsepower for the first time. The road was straight as an arrow and there was nothing around me except miles of desert. I thumbed the M5 into M1 driving mode using the button on the steering wheel. M1 had my Sport Plus preset for power, suspension and transmission. I pulled twice on the left paddle, saw the revs rise to a satisfying 3500 rpm or so and then I buried the throttle.

The first sensation wasn't really acceleration but of my body being thrown back and then immediately caught by the sport seat. That the seat was so soft was actually a good thing because it felt like falling into a pillow. A split second later my eyes caught up and registered the unusual sensation of scenery blurring in my periphery and the horizon rapidly reeling in. This was the world on fast forward. As the velocity ramped up and the thrust continued, I couldn't help but let out a silly laugh.

I reached a pretty serious clip before I decided to let off. The M5's thrust had not abated and the risk versus reward ratio was rapidly slipping away. However, it didn't mean I couldn't slow down and do it again. So I did. Again and again I ran the M5 up and down the desert flats around Palm Springs, my body thrown hard by its warp-drive acceleration and then gently caught by its soft baseball glove of a seat. I was addicted.

I was grateful for the M5's bright and legible heads-up display because this was the kind of acceleration that demanded my full attention. If I had to look down, refocus my eyes, read the instruments and look up again, I would have covered a lot of distance with my eyes off the road. With pace like this, the HUD made a lot of sense.

As with previous M5s, its greatest initial charm is giving the driver access to outrageous performance without any notion of sacrifice or discomfort. That sensation of the scenery blurring and distance being distorted was a feeling I knew well from riding sport bikes but in the M5, I didn't have to squeeze into leathers or put on a helmet. There was no yoga to perform to get into its seats. You slide in, buckle up, mash the loud pedal and in 6.6 seconds you've breached the 100mph barrier while being cocooned by supple leather and modern comforts worthy of a smart-home. The M5 is once again, the world's fastest living room couch.

The difference compared to the previous M5 is not only in performance. Yes, it is way faster and its dynamics superior. That much you could have figured out from reading the press release. However, what's most astonishing about the new M5 is how engaging it was to drive. It's as if BMW M's engineers are slowly but surely reverting to the way they used to do things, with steering that talks back to the driver and a chassis that communicates and flatters while they continue to chase gains on paper. They have fully returned the human driver to the equation.

The M5's sound was a positive part of the experience. I had almost forgotten how much I adore the sound of BMW V8s. With a bass-y undertone punctuated by subtle hints of mechanical chatter, the M5's engine and exhaust ejected a glorious, deep-chested rumble as I ripped through the gears. Yes, it could have been louder still and sure, the in-cabin soundtrack was partially synthesized but as they say in HBO's Westworld: "If you can't tell the difference, does it matter?"

A couple of minor blemishes spoiled my otherwise flawless street driving experience and both had to do with footwork. Firstly, the M5's ceramic brakes felt extremely sensitive at the top of its brake pedal travel, which caused me to dive its nose somewhat abruptly at the entry of each corner. Having a sensitive initial travel is fine so long as the pedal's resistance is proportionately firm. The M5's brake pedal was not. A somewhat soft pedal combined with a sensitive response meant it took some time to settle my braking inputs before I could brake smoothly into corners. At the track, with greater braking forces and more determined braking I felt no such distraction and the M5's brakes felt firm and worked flawlessly. On the street, you'll take some time to get used to it.

Secondly, I did not like the way the accelerator pedal had a stop of increased resistance right at the end of its travel. This was the 'kick down detent' typically used in conventional automatics to force a down change. The electronics were plenty sophisticated enough to know when I needed a down change without resorting to the detent. So why has BMW kept this anachronism around? It was especially annoying at the track when I wanted fine throttle control near max throttle so I started to ignore it altogether and drove just shy of it. Did that mean I only ever got about 95% of max throttle? Perhaps. But without the detent, I would never have had to ask this question.

Speaking of down changes, BMW has forgone both the manual transmission as well as the automated dual-clutch DCT in favor of a conventional automatic for the M5. I was initially disappointed but after a day of driving, I stopped caring one way or another. In practice the new gearbox felt just as swift as any of the recent BMW M DCTs including those in the M2 and the M3. That is to say, not the absolute fastest gear changes in the industry, but perfectly quick enough to be satisfying. However, the M5's automatic is actually lighter than the outgoing DCT, which no doubt contributes to the new car being lighter than the old one. This is doubly impressive because the new car carries all-wheel-drive hardware, a first for the M5.

Still, the M5 felt occasionally heavy. Not all of the time, because it hid its weight from me very well. With its sophisticated active dampers and a quick steering ratio, it felt surprisingly nimble and tossable in all of my street driving. The one situation where I was persistently reminded of its weight was under heavy braking, the kind I experienced repeatedly during my afternoon session at the track. The M5 stopped faithfully each and every time and I did not feel any overt signs of brake fade, but there was no denying the sensation of having a ton of momentum – over two tons, in fact – to overcome. I hopped into the Mini Cooper JCW immediately after my laps in the M5 and the Mini's braking and direction changes were a revelation.

One area where the M5 excelled, above and beyond even the M3 and the M2, was in compliance. Not just compliance as in comfort, but compliance as in immutable stability. Think about jumping over rumble strips, mid corner, fully loaded and on the power. I did this once or twice at Thermal Driving Club and the M5 simply shrugged. I did something similar in the M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA last year, and the entire car slid a foot off line as a result. The M5, on the other hand, ate rumble strips for breakfast and held its line steadfast. It was astonishingly supple and forgiving. Brilliant.

I was also fascinated by the M5's all-wheel-drive system. Its AWD mode comes in two flavors: AWD and AWD Sport. It can also be disabled altogether to revert to rear-wheel-drive. In AWD Sport mode, the system sends more power to the rear wheels to feel more rear-biased. On the street, both AWD modes were utterly transparent and were free from corruptions of the steering or chassis. There were no obvious giveaways that I was in an AWD car, other than the M5 being very grippy and stable at all times. At street pace, in the dry, you could drive pretty hard and not realize that the M5 wasn't a rear-driver.

On the track, the AWD system made its presence more overt. BMW recommended pairing AWD Sport with MDM mode on the stability control, which is the halfway house between fully assisted and nothing at all. For the most part, this MDM mode worked well and was unobtrusive. Where the AWD interactions became obvious was when I hoofed on the throttle mid-corner. The rear tires did indeed break away first, but the corrective action differed from a true rear-driver. If I eased off the throttle as the slide began and steered into the slide to settle the car before getting back on the throttle to 'ride the slide out' like I would in an RWD machine, there would be an abrupt transition back into grip and I would spear off in the direction of the corrective steering. What the AWD M5 preferred was for me to maintain constant steering and throttle angle while it shunted power forward and sorted the slide out on its own. It didn't require much from me and felt intuitive once I agreed to work with it. BMW said AWD Sport was also the quickest way around. Still, MDM mode was not conductive to aggressive corner exits because it did not allow too much rear slip angle. Whenever I tried to 'ride the slide out', I was restricted to reduced forward motion until rear slip had been curtailed. If you like being aggressive, you have to switch the DSC off. Better yet, try the M5 in rear-wheel-drive mode.

To get into RWD mode, you have to first turn DSC off. You cannot use rear-wheel-drive otherwise. The easiest way to do this is to hit the 'setup' button on the console and edit one of the M1 or M2 presets. Having DSC off to access rear-wheel-drive seemed like a novelty mode at first because it sounded like a 'drift mode'. However, it is actually more like a legacy mode, where you get to enjoy all the best of the new M5 but as if it were an old school M5. When I put the M5 into rear-wheel-drive, it became more natural to steer with the throttle and I was freed from the mid-corner intrusion of AWD. I was able to ride out the corner exits to my heart's content, with forward motion and rear slip in equal measure. It was unadulterated driving fun in a simpler, purer machine. Just like the M5s of old. It may not have been the fastest way around, but I savored every moment of the experience.

In sum, the M5 remains the transporter of the M lineup. Fast, stylish, compliant, a veritable rocket ship when you want it to be but a perfect limousine for everything else. There is ample technology but also enough layers of analogue experience for the keen driver to explore. The option of rear-wheel-drive feels polished and fully developed, like it could be driven everywhere like that. I love that BMW gives the driver a choice. It is addictively fast, impressively compliant and a masterpiece of engineering for the human in an electronic age. BMW has not forgotten its roots. Bravo!
Aweosme review!!! Very detailed and love how you talk about ride steering and handling balance.
      05-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post

As with previous M5s, its greatest initial charm is giving the driver access to outrageous performance without any notion of sacrifice or discomfort. That sensation of the scenery blurring and distance being distorted was a feeling I knew well from riding sport bikes but in the M5, I didn't have to squeeze into leathers or put on a helmet. There was no yoga to perform to get into its seats. You slide in, buckle up, mash the loud pedal and in 6.6 seconds you've breached the 100mph barrier while being cocooned by supple leather and modern comforts worthy of a smart-home. The M5 is once again, the world's fastest living room couch.

The difference compared to the previous M5 is not only in performance. Yes, it is way faster and its dynamics superior. That much you could have figured out from reading the press release. However, what's most astonishing about the new M5 is how engaging it was to drive. It's as if BMW M's engineers are slowly but surely reverting to the way they used to do things, with steering that talks back to the driver and a chassis that communicates and flatters while they continue to chase gains on paper. They have fully returned the human driver to the equation.

The M5's sound was a positive part of the experience. I had almost forgotten how much I adore the sound of BMW V8s. With a bass-y undertone punctuated by subtle hints of mechanical chatter, the M5's engine and exhaust ejected a glorious, deep-chested rumble as I ripped through the gears. Yes, it could have been louder still and sure, the in-cabin soundtrack was partially synthesized but as they say in HBO's Westworld: "If you can't tell the difference, does it matter?"

A couple of minor blemishes spoiled my otherwise flawless street driving experience and both had to do with footwork. Firstly, the M5's ceramic brakes felt extremely sensitive at the top of its brake pedal travel, which caused me to dive its nose somewhat abruptly at the entry of each corner. Having a sensitive initial travel is fine so long as the pedal's resistance is proportionately firm. The M5's brake pedal was not. A somewhat soft pedal combined with a sensitive response meant it took some time to settle my braking inputs before I could brake smoothly into corners. At the track, with greater braking forces and more determined braking I felt no such distraction and the M5's brakes felt firm and worked flawlessly. On the street, you'll take some time to get used to it.

Secondly, I did not like the way the accelerator pedal had a stop of increased resistance right at the end of its travel. This was the 'kick down detent' typically used in conventional automatics to force a down change. The electronics were plenty sophisticated enough to know when I needed a down change without resorting to the detent. So why has BMW kept this anachronism around? It was especially annoying at the track when I wanted fine throttle control near max throttle so I started to ignore it altogether and drove just shy of it. Did that mean I only ever got about 95% of max throttle? Perhaps. But without the detent, I would never have had to ask this question.

Speaking of down changes, BMW has forgone both the manual transmission as well as the automated dual-clutch DCT in favor of a conventional automatic for the M5. I was initially disappointed but after a day of driving, I stopped caring one way or another. In practice the new gearbox felt just as swift as any of the recent BMW M DCTs including those in the M2 and the M3. That is to say, not the absolute fastest gear changes in the industry, but perfectly quick enough to be satisfying. However, the M5's automatic is actually lighter than the outgoing DCT, which no doubt contributes to the new car being lighter than the old one. This is doubly impressive because the new car carries all-wheel-drive hardware, a first for the M5.

Still, the M5 felt occasionally heavy. Not all of the time, because it hid its weight from me very well. With its sophisticated active dampers and a quick steering ratio, it felt surprisingly nimble and tossable in all of my street driving. The one situation where I was persistently reminded of its weight was under heavy braking, the kind I experienced repeatedly during my afternoon session at the track. The M5 stopped faithfully each and every time and I did not feel any overt signs of brake fade, but there was no denying the sensation of having a ton of momentum – over two tons, in fact – to overcome. I hopped into the Mini Cooper JCW immediately after my laps in the M5 and the Mini's braking and direction changes were a revelation.

I was also fascinated by the M5's all-wheel-drive system. Its AWD mode comes in two flavors: AWD and AWD Sport. It can also be disabled altogether to revert to rear-wheel-drive. In AWD Sport mode, the system sends more power to the rear wheels to feel more rear-biased. On the street, both AWD modes were utterly transparent and were free from corruptions of the steering or chassis. There were no obvious giveaways that I was in an AWD car, other than the M5 being very grippy and stable at all times. At street pace, in the dry, you could drive pretty hard and not realize that the M5 wasn't a rear-driver.

On the track, the AWD system made its presence more overt. BMW recommended pairing AWD Sport with MDM mode on the stability control, which is the halfway house between fully assisted and nothing at all. For the most part, this MDM mode worked well and was unobtrusive. Where the AWD interactions became obvious was when I hoofed on the throttle mid-corner. The rear tires did indeed break away first, but the corrective action differed from a true rear-driver. If I eased off the throttle as the slide began and steered into the slide to settle the car before getting back on the throttle to 'ride the slide out' like I would in an RWD machine, there would be an abrupt transition back into grip and I would spear off in the direction of the corrective steering. What the AWD M5 preferred was for me to maintain constant steering and throttle angle while it shunted power forward and sorted the slide out on its own. It didn't require much from me and felt intuitive once I agreed to work with it. BMW said AWD Sport was also the quickest way around. Still, MDM mode was not conductive to aggressive corner exits because it did not allow too much rear slip angle. Whenever I tried to 'ride the slide out', I was restricted to reduced forward motion until rear slip had been curtailed. If you like being aggressive, you have to switch the DSC off. Better yet, try the M5 in rear-wheel-drive mode.

To get into RWD mode, you have to first turn DSC off. You cannot use rear-wheel-drive otherwise. The easiest way to do this is to hit the 'setup' button on the console and edit one of the M1 or M2 presets. Having DSC off to access rear-wheel-drive seemed like a novelty mode at first because it sounded like a 'drift mode'. However, it is actually more like a legacy mode, where you get to enjoy all the best of the new M5 but as if it were an old school M5. When I put the M5 into rear-wheel-drive, it became more natural to steer with the throttle and I was freed from the mid-corner intrusion of AWD. I was able to ride out the corner exits to my heart's content, with forward motion and rear slip in equal measure. It was unadulterated driving fun in a simpler, purer machine. Just like the M5s of old. It may not have been the fastest way around, but I savored every moment of the experience.

In manual mode there should be no kick down. Maybe you were in auto or sport
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
The new M5 lacks any character and unfortunately is the most boring M car ever made. It lacks character in both sound, driving and general experience.

Sure it's fast in a straight line but AMG already does that better.

Overall, the car imo is a huge disappointment in almost every way. It feels nothing like an M car.

Boring as bat shit is the best description. Inside and out.
I haven't driven one yet, but those seem to be strong words given basically every review that has come out has been positive. Even the ones that chose the amg over the m (which there are very few) praised the m5 claiming that m has got its groove back. Are you upset with styling and exhaust?

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
EggFreak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F39, G02 LCI

Boring car again, e60 m5 is most exciting e39 the all time best m5, this is just like a 600hp toyota Avalon
Appreciate 2
drgmt984.50
      05-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Great set of videos Sam!
      05-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoua2u View Post
Great review!!
Super well written. I felt right there
along with you.
Great review.
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-26-2018, 02:45 AM   #10
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

What a brilliant review! Makes me want my new M5 right away. Anticipation.....
Appreciate 4
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Brake_Late1936.50
RPiM52868.00
      05-26-2018, 04:41 AM   #11
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

I’ve just test drive it for the 2nd time, it really is a car for all, has the full package. The only gripe I have is the E63 does sound better and that there isn’t a touring version!

So comfortable, so fast and tech is awesome.
Appreciate 3
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Brake_Late1936.50
mqmh2319.50
      05-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
I drove in for a track day.

The car sounded terrible. Honestly. I guess the only good thing is that it's so quiet in the cabin you don't have to listen to it.

Exterior styling is average at best. It looks exactly like a standard 5 series.

On the track it was just so lifeless and boring and predictable.

Granted I had it in 4WD sport - but still.

Honestly I was so happy to be getting into my M3 for the drive home.
I have to agree with you. i'm the biggest M5 fan and they dropped the ball on this one. Don't get me wrong, the car is well built and it drives very nice but the visuals are just so bad! that exterior and interior is just as bad as anything. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but look, you can't even get REAL carbon fiber. they give us this SHIT fake aluminum that looks like carbon. even on the competition edition. for fuk sake, the genesis G80 has real carbon fiber. please tell me WHY would i pay so much cash for the top BMW M5 model and can't even get real carbon?? but then again you can see that the WHOLE car is like this. they turned it into a "budget" car, for BMW to make $$. i'm sorry but other than the performance there's nothing that catches my eye for me to say "wow this is nice". but did you guys see the interiors of the the new A6/A7 or the panamera (especially the interior) etc? it's light years away from the 5 series. say what you want the M5 looks like shit and i'm a huge bmw fan.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52868.00
      05-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaM View Post
Quote:
I drove in for a track day.

The car sounded terrible. Honestly. I guess the only good thing is that it's so quiet in the cabin you don't have to listen to it.

Exterior styling is average at best. It looks exactly like a standard 5 series.

On the track it was just so lifeless and boring and predictable.

Granted I had it in 4WD sport - but still.

Honestly I was so happy to be getting into my M3 for the drive home.
I have to agree with you. i'm the biggest M5 fan and they dropped the ball on this one. Don't get me wrong, the car is well built and it drives very nice but the visuals are just so bad! that exterior and interior is just as bad as anything. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but look, you can't even get REAL carbon fiber. they give us this SHIT fake aluminum that looks like carbon. even on the competition edition. for fuk sake, the genesis G80 has real carbon fiber. please tell me WHY would i pay so much cash for the top BMW M5 model and can't even get real carbon?? but then again you can see that the WHOLE car is like this. they turned it into a "budget" car, for BMW to make $$. i'm sorry but other than the performance there's nothing that catches my eye for me to say "wow this is nice". but did you guys see the interiors of the the new A6/A7 or the panamera (especially the interior) etc? it's light years away from the 5 series. say what you want the M5 looks like shit and i'm a huge bmw fan.
Panamera is great but more $$ so it should be. I actually disagree on the Audi interiors, super disappointed with the new interior direction.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52868.00
      05-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Dont feed the trolls. They will eventually starve and go away......

Appreciate 4
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Bönz183.50
mvigod180.50
      05-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #15
EggFreak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F39, G02 LCI

If bmw was to build it like used to be back when e60 m5 debut the whole car was made to sound crazy and awesome even better then Italiano super car, but now no SMG or anything special. just no more bmw magic it used tohave not shown in paper.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52868.00
      05-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Panamera is great but more $$ so it should be. I actually disagree on the Audi interiors, super disappointed with the new interior direction.
btw you get that interior with a basic panamera, in general yes the panamera is more expensive but my point is that audi's, MB and porsche's interiors are far more sharper than BMW. but it's the same thoughout bmw's car/truck lineup, the X3's interior is just astounding how bland it looks and the X3M40i is 80 grand! give me a break!
it looks like the new generation (X5, X7) should be a bit better, let's see....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #17
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggFreak View Post
If bmw was to build it like used to be back when e60 m5 debut the whole car was made to sound crazy and awesome even better then Italiano super car, but now no SMG or anything special. just no more bmw magic it used tohave not shown in paper.
Someone actually thinks SMG was a positive thing? The engines in that generation were very exciting, I loved my E92 M3 and even though it was slower than a ton of other cars when I had it, it was always a thrill to drive and kept a smile on my face every day but I and everyone I’ve ever met in my life would definitely disagree about that shitbox SMG transmission. You’re definitely entitled to like SMH if you do but I’m legitimately surprised to see you write that.
Appreciate 2
Jez_zza438.50
      05-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggFreak View Post
Boring car again, e60 m5 is most exciting e39 the all time best m5, this is just like a 600hp toyota Avalon
meh...e60 had short legs assuming the bearings wouldn't cause the engine to grind itself into pieces.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

very well written, i like your enthusiasm
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #20
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Someone actually thinks SMG was a positive thing? The engines in that generation were very exciting, I loved my E92 M3 and even though it was slower than a ton of other cars when I had it, it was always a thrill to drive and kept a smile on my face every day but I and everyone I’ve ever met in my life would definitely disagree about that shitbox SMG transmission. You’re definitely entitled to like SMH if you do but I’m legitimately surprised to see you write that.
The e92 M3 had DCT, not SMG.....huge difference.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Sam,

Superb review. I had the f10 M5 and have seen several reviews on the f90. Your’s has been the best. I suspect the f90 is my next car and I really enjoyed your take on the car. I got the feel of it from an enthusiasts point of view. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #22
Cyberbug
Private
Rep
Drives: HP4

Garage List
Great review, hoping for some reviews of the competition pack and comparisons later this year. Not sure if the competition pack is needed for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0