BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Need new motor @ 32k miles

03-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #23
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dorfin View Post
Hi, m5 f90 are known for the problem with misfiring .. the whole problem is in the sparks plugs and coils - especially if the spark plugs haven't been changed before (in 32K miles it is time to change them anyway) ... usually there is a leak of cooling fluid due to a bad design of a top cap of the cooling fluid tank ... then, due to high pressure under a load a bit of cooling fluid leaks/burst a bit and the liquid goes to spark plugs and coils around causing corrosion of the coils ...

Then during driving when you hit the gas pedal, the engine falls into limb mode and engine light turns on ... Your SA diagnostics then says there is a misfire at certain valves ... so what is the solution?

If you notice there is a white plaque/dots at the engine cover, that is a cooling fluid and it means it got into spark plugs/coils area. Just change the spark plugs and coils and the car should be ok.

I also had this problem with misfiring my m5 and other guys here as well .. SA are also advised from BMW central (at least here in Europe) to replace cooling fluid tank cap

Let us know if it helps

P.S. Somewhere in my phone I had also videos of the car getting in the limb mode but I think it is not necessary to post it here ... if the car is out of warranty I think the price for changing the spark and plugs should be around 1200 USD.

Cheers,
Petr
I just had the coolant expansion tank leak and the car now has the misfiring issue. The local dealer tech is now ascertaining how bad the leak is while determining how much damage was caused by the coolant leak. Apparently, there are 2 x DMEs mounted on each bank not to mention the ignition coils and the leak was severe enough to have visually affected these electronics as well as mentioned by the service advisor.

Car has been in the shop for a couple of days with no further updates, I wonder if an engine swap would be authorized? Fat hope I know but I do hope an engine swap is on the cards.
      03-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #24
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
is it just limb mode? wouldn't it have to be bum limb mode to cause a limp?
      03-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

My 2020 M550 has been in the shop twice now for leaking coolant. They also changed coil packs. It is STILL leaking coolant ( i can smell it ) but every time I ask them about it, they pressure test the system and say its "normal" for these V8's to lose coolant. When I mention that I've had two low coolant warnings on I Drive in less than 1,000 miles, they say its good to go. Currently has 12,300 miles.

Idiots.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1780.00
      03-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #26
paulyboy123
Paulyboy123
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 Competition, BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
My 2020 M550 has been in the shop twice now for leaking coolant. They also changed coil packs. It is STILL leaking coolant ( i can smell it ) but every time I ask them about it, they pressure test the system and say its "normal" for these V8's to lose coolant. When I mention that I've had two low coolant warnings on I Drive in less than 1,000 miles, they say its good to go. Currently has 12,300 miles.

Idiots.
In the same boat as you, low coolant 4 times in 1000 miles but they gave me a free bottle of coolant to compensate. They told me it's normal but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 06:58 AM   #27
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

The local dealership just gave me some updates, it's the fuel injectors that were damaged by the coolant expansion tank leak.
The fuel injectors has been replaced and now they are going to look at the following issues I highlighted:-

1) Ticking sound from undercarriage when turning the steering
2) from traffic lights, move off, sometimes feel the car is in neutral even when transmission is in D when lightly accelerating and car suddenly lurches forward like suddenly the gear catches on.

It's a My 2020 Pre-LCi Comp.
      03-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #28
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
The local dealership just gave me some updates, it's the fuel injectors that were damaged by the coolant expansion tank leak.
The fuel injectors has been replaced and now they are going to look at the following issues I highlighted:-

2) from traffic lights, move off, sometimes feel the car is in neutral even when transmission is in D when lightly accelerating and car suddenly lurches forward like suddenly the gear catches on.

I wonder if the coolant leak is due to a defective tank or a design issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #29
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I wonder if the coolant leak is due to a defective tank or a design issue?
Im not sure as I'm not an engineer by training but I do wonder if the engineers while designing the placement of components in the engine bay, did they give thought to possible failures that would affect other parts. Water tank near electronics doesn't sound like a good idea to me but they might have their reasons anyways.
      03-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #30
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I just replaced my coolant expansion tank after catching some dried residue around the perimeter. I caught it pretty early as I’m cleaning and checking things in the engine bay often. It was leaking from 3 areas on the upper half (cracks not visible to the eye) and from the seam in the middle. It literally came out of nowhere. The design of the tank with two halves bonded together probably doesn’t help matters, and the placement I agree should’ve been put out of the way from the coils, plugs, etc. in the event of a prolonged and/or large leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 05:12 PM   #31
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatRear08 View Post
I just replaced my coolant expansion tank after catching some dried residue around the perimeter. I caught it pretty early as I’m cleaning and checking things in the engine bay often. It was leaking from 3 areas on the upper half (cracks not visible to the eye) and from the seam in the middle. It literally came out of nowhere. The design of the tank with two halves bonded together probably doesn’t help matters, and the placement I agree should’ve been put out of the way from the coils, plugs, etc. in the event of a prolonged and/or large leak.
This seems like a pretty common problem and bmw engineers should have anticipated this. Guess I will need to be more vigilant on checking the engine compartment when I have the time as part of preventive maintenance especially if the car is out of warranty.
      03-16-2022, 06:16 AM   #32
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
"normal" for these V8's to lose coolant.

Idiots.
That is such BULLSHIT. This coolant leak issue will become a 'recall' soon enough.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #33
daschacka
Private
Rep
Drives: M5Competition

Quote:

Have the same 2 issues on my 2018 preLci comp.

pls update when u know the issues have been solved.
thought it was just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #34
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschacka View Post

thought it was just me.
Will update you on this. Today is day 10 inside the dealer workshop, no updates, nothing seems to have been done so far. MyBMW app shows car's latest update on 12th Mar and no updates since till date. Very poor turnaround time from the dealer.
      03-16-2022, 07:26 AM   #35
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "FatRear08;28673101"
This seems like a pretty common problem and bmw engineers should have anticipated this. Guess I will need to be more vigilant on checking the engine compartment when I have the time as part of preventive maintenance especially if the car is out of warranty.
I wonder if they are replacing the coolant tank with an upgraded part or a tank that has addressed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 07:38 AM   #36
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

My car has been at the dealer for over two weeks now for the second replacement of the coolant tank. The first one was done in January and it still smelled of coolant for months. I brought it to a different dealer and this time they said they are also replacing all 4 coils and injectors on that side as well as other small seals necessary. I was told that it would be finished on Monday or Tuesday but now it is Wednesday and I have not heard from them. The MyBMW app shows no communication with the car for the past 7 days - I keep checking it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:44 PM   #37
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
My car has been at the dealer for over two weeks now for the second replacement of the coolant tank. The first one was done in January and it still smelled of coolant for months. I brought it to a different dealer and this time they said they are also replacing all 4 coils and injectors on that side as well as other small seals necessary. I was told that it would be finished on Monday or Tuesday but now it is Wednesday and I have not heard from them. The MyBMW app shows no communication with the car for the past 7 days - I keep checking it.
Mine has also been at the dealers for almost 2 weeks waiting on parts. Apparently the service advisor gave me the wrong info. Its the ignition coils that are damaged and not the fuel injectors he informed me previously. The workshop foreman gave me the correct info and the ignition coils are the ones that's damaged. Parts are not available and they ordered from Germany which they are still waiting on. Seriously slow.
      03-24-2022, 03:23 AM   #38
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschacka View Post

thought it was just me.
Dealer just called and updated that the parts have finally arrived. The ticking sound from the undercarriage, the advisor told me it's due to my wheel spacers which I'm pretty sure is a load of bullshit.
      03-29-2022, 10:22 PM   #39
Landolakes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Not sure if it is related but this is exactly what happened with my previous 2015 BMW X5M 2) from traffic lights, move off, sometimes feel the car is in neutral even when transmission is in D when lightly accelerating and car suddenly lurches forward like suddenly the gear catches on. Ultimately was diagnosed as a faulty transfer case and it had to be replaced.
Appreciate 1
Stano8988.50
      04-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #40
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Dealer just called and updated that the parts have finally arrived. The ticking sound from the undercarriage, the advisor told me it's due to my wheel spacers which I'm pretty sure is a load of bullshit.
Clicking noise - might be the stiffening plate bolts see thread.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529616

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=clicking
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2022, 01:18 AM   #41
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

About a month ago I had the expansion tank coolant leak. Leak was fixed, coils and spark plugs were also replaced.
Smelled pretty bad when it was leaking but never misfired.
      04-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #42
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Had my oil change coming up and got low coolant light a few times over winter when very cold that would always go away when warm.

Over weekend fired her up and got drivetrain malfunction (miss cyl7) dealer diagnosed today with..

just called me back said new faults so they're replacing all fuel injectors

Keep you all posted if anything else comes

oh and no loaner cars cause all out lol so they have a running list of whose next
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 02:30 AM   #43
coM5ition
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
About a month ago I had the expansion tank coolant leak. Leak was fixed, coils and spark plugs were also replaced.
Smelled pretty bad when it was leaking but never misfired.
I found on another thread that vehicles with production date up to March 2019 has this coolant extension tank leakage problem.
Could you guys share which production weeks are your cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 03:28 AM   #44
MB625
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp. LCI

Excuse my late joining of the party. Similar symptoms, but with an LCI. Was this issue allegedly fixed with the 'life cycle impulse'?
Appreciate 0