BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2018 BMW M5 F90 vs E63 S AMG by review Automobile Magazine

03-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #23
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdavis View Post
Has anyone been able to drive the new M5? I have both an M5 and an E63s on order but I plan to only take delivery of one and I'm struggling greatly with the decision. Man, this is a lot harder decision to make than I thought it would be. I haven't driven the M5 but I have driven the E63s. I currently own an M550i so I'm assuming driving the M5 won't be too drastically different.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by just how different the M5 and M550ix are. I also have an m550ix as a daily and it is fairly peppy; I have run 12.1 at 117 MPH. That said - the M5 - in magazine tests is running 10.9 at 127-129 MPH. That is literally a night and day difference (more than a couple of buses difference). And is really the M550ix's main strong suit; straight line performance. The chassis, brakes, transmission Tuning and many other components of the car as a road course/canyon carving car - are also Night and day however - in favour of the M5 (as all of the reviews have said both for the M550ix being too soft and unchuckable in turns and the M5 being the exact opposite in these categories - extremely competent actually).

As to M5 vs E63S - I again think the answers are already there. The E63S is louder/better engine noises - beyond that it doesn't handle as well, brake as well, and being fair is as quick and fast or slightly less than the M5 (and that is without the Comp Pack). Everyday drivability (which for me was important as this is my daily and I am fortunate to race other cars) - is much better in the M5 - giving you the G30's luxury (versus uber stuff in the AMG).

In the end - it's your choice of course - but again I think the info is there...

Cheers!

Last edited by vtknight; 03-10-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #24
dcbigbaps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 McLaren 570GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by just how different the M5 and M550ix are. I also have an m550ix as a daily and it is fairly peppy; I have run 12.1 at 117 MPH. That said - the M5 - in magazine tests is running 10.9 at 127-129 MPH. That is literally a night and day difference (more than a couple of buses difference). And is really the M550ix's main strong suit; straight line performance. The chassis, brakes, transmission Tuning and many other components of the car as a road course/canyon carving car - are also Night and day however - in favour of the M5 (as all of the reviews have said both for the M550ix being too soft and unchuckable in turns and the M5 being the exact opposite in these categories - extremely competent actually).

As to M5 vs E63S - I again think the answers are already there. The E63S is louder/better engine noises - beyond that it doesn't handle as well, brake as well, and being fair is as quick and fast or slightly less than the M5 (and that is without the Comp Pack). Everyday drivability (which for me was important as this is my daily and I am fortunate to race other cars) - is much better in the M5 - giving you the G30's luxury (versus uber stuff in the AMG).

In the end - it's your choice of course - but again I think the info is there...

Cheers!

Great summary. I think it comes to which one moves you viscerally. To me, the design of the e63 was too feminine, but somehow at the same time over the top. I prefer the subdued look of the M5, though for me, it is a bit more masculine.

The data is otherwise there.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #25
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Damnit now you guys have me thinking about a e63s. Found a nice spec'd e63s in matte but all the damn dealers order the car without the performance seats which is a deal breaker for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
ljdavis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 M550i

Quote:

Cheers!
I appreciate you sharing your perspective. I honestly think it's going to come down to me getting behind the wheel of the M5; just waiting for BMW to release my vehicle from the VPC.

There are attributes of both cars that I really like and likewise dislike. The sound of the e63s is amazing and I think I might prefer it's interior over the M5. Exterior wise, I'm torn between both vehicles. I wish the M5 was slightly more aggressive in its appearance. First world problems, right!!!???
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #27
ljdavis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Damnit now you guys have me thinking about a e63s. Found a nice spec'd e63s in matte but all the damn dealers order the car without the performance seats which is a deal breaker for me.
She's a beauty! Were you able to drive it? Interested in getting your thoughts on what you thought the drive was like.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #28
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdavis View Post
Quote:
She's a beauty! Were you able to drive it? Interested in getting your thoughts on what you thought the drive was like.
No it's out of state. All the ones that are local have horrible specs. I already have a deposit on my individual M5. I'm going to have my auto broker run the numbers on the car.
I know Mercedes have horrible residuals. The sticker on my M5 was 129k and the payment was around $1900 a month. I'm guessing for the Mercedes with same sticker will be in the low 2000s.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #29
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

I love my E63s. Ride is pretty firm if you live in a potholed area and the transmission is very sporty so don’t expect the smooth shifts of a traditional auto however the rest of the car is amazing. MAKE SURE you get a build date past October 2017 as cars before that are missing features and prone to issues.
The car is very aggressive and I get compliments and stares all the time.
Price wise the E63 residuals and money factor suck so it’s about $300 more a month for the same msrp and no free maintenance.
Must have options are the performance seats, performance exhaust, premium package and the black 20” wheels.
I’m getting the M5 too as I like subdued daily drivers to go to meetings and stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #30
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
I love my E63s. Ride is pretty firm if you live in a potholed area and the transmission is very sporty so don’t expect the smooth shifts of a traditional auto however the rest of the car is amazing. MAKE SURE you get a build date past October 2017 as cars before that are missing features and prone to issues.
Price wise the E63 residuals and money factor suck so it’s about $300 more a month for the same msrp and no free maintenance.
Must have options are the performance seats, performance exhaust, premium package and the black 20” wheels.
I’m getting the M5 too as I like subdued daily drivers to go to meetings and stuff
I had the 2014 E63S and the transmission was terrible. I don't know if they fixed that on the new gen?

The ride quality in the M5 is fairly universally reviewed as superior as I said above.

On another note - I'm interested to know your point of view on this; - Maybe you have multiple cars for other things/purposes- if not - why own both? Performance wise - they are so close - and as competitor choices also extremely similar? Maybe another car choice - with more differences or a different purpose?

My M5 will be my daily - and I am fortunate to race other cars - but even in that situation I don't know I would ever own both.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
ljdavis
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had the 2014 E63S and the transmission was terrible. I don't know if they fixed that on the new gen?

The ride quality in the M5 is fairly universally reviewed as superior as I said above.

On another note - I'm interested to know your point of view on this; - Maybe you have multiple cars for other things/purposes- if not - why own both? Performance wise - they are so close - and as competitor choices also extremely similar? Maybe another car choice - with more differences or a different purpose?

My M5 will be my daily - and I am fortunate to race other cars - but even in that situation I don't know I would ever own both.
I'd second this question to Quickburn...... I'm curious to learn why you chose to own both vehicles.
Appreciate 1
M2Tom1.50
      03-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #32
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

The 9 speed mct is much better than the old 7 speed however still rough.

Why do I have both?
I have a lot of cars as I collect. I am up to 35 now. My wife and I like super sedan cars so we switch off cars for our DD with our Range Rover autobiography as well.
My E63S is being bought back by Mercedes due to many issues ( had a pre October build date) so I’m getting the M5 for now and already ordered a replacement E63s for July delivery.

This is my E63 in my garage
Attached Images

Appreciate 17
      03-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #33
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Why do I have both?
I have a lot of cars as I collect. I am up to 35 now. My wife and I like super sedan cars so we switch off cars for our DD with our Range Rover autobiography as well.
My E63S is being bought back by Mercedes due to many issues ( had a pre October build date) so I’m getting the M5 for now and already ordered a replacement E63s for July delivery.

Wow Nice garage it's an f50 and a mclaren slr ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #34
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:

Why do I have both?

Well - that answers that. With 35 cars - its a why not scenario lol.
Beautiful garage. I have cars for racing that I enjoy - but I am no collector.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #35
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I just had my broker run the numbers for e63s same sticker price as the M5 I have in orders , 129k. The payment was 350$ more. I'll stick with the M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #36
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHX View Post
Wow Nice garage it's an f50 and a mclaren slr ?
Yeah, very fortunate.
Appreciate 2
MTHX233.00
cjack29.50
      03-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #37
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Yeah, very fortunate.
Now for the tough question.....set aside the monetary value, which three cars would you keep for pure driving enjoyment if you could only keep three?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #38
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

I can’t pick just 3:
- Carrera GT
- F50
- 599 SA aperta
- 991.2 GT3 manual
- 812 superfast
So far these 5 are amazing drivers that bring a lot of enjoyment
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #39
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quickburn should get an E63s Wagon Rarer than the F40 haha!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #40
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quickburn should get an E63s Wagon Rarer than the F40 haha!
Idk there are a lot on autotrader. More than the sedan! I do love wagons though!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #41
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Idk there are a lot on autotrader. More than the sedan! I do love wagons though!
My wife won’t let me get a wagon
However it’s true does seem like there are a lot of wagons out there compared to sedans.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #42
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My wife won’t let me get a wagon
However it’s true does seem like there are a lot of wagons out there compared to sedans.
I like the wagon. I've always loved wagons. Can never get myself to pull the trigger on one though. If Audi ever brought the RS6 to the US I'd be all over it. There is something about the rear quarter panel I don't like on the e63 estate.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #43
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can’t pick just 3:
- Carrera GT
- F50
- 599 SA aperta
- 991.2 GT3 manual
- 812 superfast
So far these 5 are amazing drivers that bring a lot of enjoyment
You already have the 991.2 GT3? That is tough to get in my neck of the woods, I am sure you have excellent connections...I am going to guess that you do not mod any of your cars being a collector...I have to say that is the way to go despite the fact I mod everything I touch (I won't mod the M5 as its my daily and a lease). It is so much easier just leaving it alone and driving it as is. I have simply gotten used to a certain power level.

I would say Carrera GT, F50 and 812 would be my picks. Great garage again!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #44
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You already have the 991.2 GT3? That is tough to get in my neck of the woods, I am sure you have excellent connections...I am going to guess that you do not mod any of your cars being a collector...I have to say that is the way to go despite the fact I mod everything I touch (I won't mod the M5 as its my daily and a lease). It is so much easier just leaving it alone and driving it as is. I have simply gotten used to a certain power level.

I would say Carrera GT, F50 and 812 would be my picks. Great garage again!
Yeah I don’t mod those cars but I am planning on modding the M5 and the next E63.
Yeah I got the 991.2 GT3 a few months ago and getting the GT2RS in a month
It will be my first non manual Porsche ever
Appreciate 1