BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 Base LCI vs M5 Comp LCI - ride comfort?

05-06-2024, 08:16 AM   #1
Kristian_Buserski
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

M5 Base LCI vs M5 Comp LCI - ride comfort?

Hello to all,

I am new in this forum and I still haven’t got an M5, right now I drive an Audi RS6 Performance C7.5. I really do love the car, and it has been very reliable. It comes with the stiffest suspension possible, and it still rides well for me. But I plan to change in the next year or two to something different- an M5.

I have never driven one, and was curious how the ride comfort is?
Today I test drove a M8 Competition coupe, and although it feels faster than the RS6, the suspension was definitely stiffer than the RS6. Too stiff for me. I drove that car, since an M5 wasn’t available and I think that they are similar, BMW states that the LCI M5C has the dampers from the M8C, so does that mean that the M5C LCI is as comfortable as the M8C ? Because if it is, it is a no-go for me, since this will be my daily driver. If the ride in the LCI M5C is the same as the M8C, I will consider the base M5 LCI, and thats why I would like to ask if the base M5 LCI is more comfortable than the M5C LCI?
I am asking because I have heard different opinions in these forums, and would like to receive some from owners of the LCI base and Comp M5’s and also M8C owners.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:11 AM   #2
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

The M5C LCI is firm. It's crazy to say otherwise. But it's not bad. It's pretty decent at dealing with textured roads. It is worse (bad) at dealing with sharp imperfections, like for example, a manhole that is proud from the road by 1/2". You will definitely feel that.

But the ride comfort is a reason why I am wondering if different tires will help. I am on worn P-Zeros, and I am sure I can improve re ride with MPS4S, but I do wonder is the MPS All-Season 4 would make a big enough ride improvement to consider them. I'm on OEM 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 11:08 AM   #3
Kristian_Buserski
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The M5C LCI is firm. It's crazy to say otherwise. But it's not bad. It's pretty decent at dealing with textured roads. It is worse (bad) at dealing with sharp imperfections, like for example, a manhole that is proud from the road by 1/2". You will definitely feel that.

But the ride comfort is a reason why I am wondering if different tires will help. I am on worn P-Zeros, and I am sure I can improve re ride with MPS4S, but I do wonder is the MPS All-Season 4 would make a big enough ride improvement to consider them. I'm on OEM 20" wheels.
Thank you for the feedback! The M8C had Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for context.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 11:25 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I am sure I can improve re ride with MPS4S, but I do wonder is the MPS All-Season 4 would make a big enough ride improvement to consider them. I'm on OEM 20" wheels.
I have both AS4 and PS4 and don’t think AS4 are more comfortable. Maybe the same? They are definitely a little louder. I line putting the PS4 back on. Both sets of tires are on 20” wheels. Probably either Michelin is better than the Pirelli summers. Tires also get harder with age and wear so worn out 4 year old tires will be tougher. Tire pressure also plays a role. Many inflate too high. Look up the comfort specs. They say they are for under 100mph, but that refers to sustained driving and I doubt many in the USA do sustained driving over 100. I have been 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160 many times but never sustained. A few times I have managed 15 minutes right at 100, but that is about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 11:45 AM   #5
cjeansonne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C F90 - Donnington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian_Buserski View Post
Hello to all,

I am new in this forum and I still haven’t got an M5, right now I drive an Audi RS6 Performance C7.5. I really do love the car, and it has been very reliable. It comes with the stiffest suspension possible, and it still rides well for me. But I plan to change in the next year or two to something different- an M5.

I have never driven one, and was curious how the ride comfort is?
Today I test drove a M8 Competition coupe, and although it feels faster than the RS6, the suspension was definitely stiffer than the RS6. Too stiff for me. I drove that car, since an M5 wasn’t available and I think that they are similar, BMW states that the LCI M5C has the dampers from the M8C, so does that mean that the M5C LCI is as comfortable as the M8C ? Because if it is, it is a no-go for me, since this will be my daily driver. If the ride in the LCI M5C is the same as the M8C, I will consider the base M5 LCI, and thats why I would like to ask if the base M5 LCI is more comfortable than the M5C LCI?
I am asking because I have heard different opinions in these forums, and would like to receive some from owners of the LCI base and Comp M5’s and also M8C owners.

Cheers!
I own an M5 LCI and also test drove an M8C. I find the M5C ride stiffer than the M8C I test drove but I don’t find the ride too rough as the M5C is my daily and I love it.

Test drive both to be safe and go M5 and not M5C if you want comfort above all else.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:49 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

19” wheels will also ride better
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 01:57 PM   #7
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
19” wheels will also ride better
This is true. I have winter tires on 19" and it does ride better.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 03:01 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

40 series will ride better than 35 series. The 19” wheels are also lighter than the 20”. Maybe the 19” tires are heavier and the total weight is the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:35 PM   #9
SeatownF90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, 958

Taken from the sticky comparing base and comp. I looked into it too when I was making my purchase. There were quite a few people complaining about the stiff ride on the comp, but I came from an F80 so it wasn't an issue for me.

• Lower ride height by 7mm
• Springs are shorter and 10% firmer front and rear
• Unique tuning for damper hydraulics
• Increased negative camber at front axle
• Toe links fitted with ball joints instead of rubber mounts
• Spring rate of rear anti-roll bar is firmer
• Front axle features redesigned mounting for the anti-roll bar
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 04:17 AM   #10
Kristian_Buserski
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeansonne View Post
I own an M5 LCI and also test drove an M8C. I find the M5C ride stiffer than the M8C I test drove but I don’t find the ride too rough as the M5C is my daily and I love it.

Test drive both to be safe and go M5 and not M5C if you want comfort above all else.
It is interesting you say that, I always thought that the LCI M5C would ride softer than the M8C, simply because one is a practical family sedan and the other is a low sport-grand tourer.

Although I should try an LCI M5C, and if I don’t like the ride, surely the base M5 LCI will be my pick. The 4% power increase in the Comp, most certainly won’t be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 04:58 AM   #11
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Before buying the M5, I test drove an RS6 Performance for a whole week-end.

The car felt quick, sounded good but stiff as heck.

I decided to go with a new base M5 back in 2018 (it was available right away at the dealership) and although I would've been happy with a little more comfort, the car feels more comfortable than the RS6 and the seats are amazing on long trips.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5327.50
      05-08-2024, 05:29 AM   #12
FJPM
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 330 D F 30 and F90 M5

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
I drive an LCI with 19 inch wheels and it is very confortable even on very bad road in Belgium. The competion LCI got upgraded suspension and it is said that it is more confortable the pre LCI competition.
Anyhow if your are confort oriented choose a standard one
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:19 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The 4% power increase in the Comp, most certainly won’t be noticeable.
600 vs 617 hp is not a noticeable difference. But if you want more power, you can flash the Comp tune, flash an aftermarket tune, use a piggyback line Racechip or JB4, or add bolt on parts. The Comp advantages are almost entirely in the more performance oriented suspension, which, as some have commented, compromises the ride quality slightly.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 02:25 AM   #14
Kristian_Buserski
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta View Post
Before buying the M5, I test drove an RS6 Performance for a whole week-end.

The car felt quick, sounded good but stiff as heck.

I decided to go with a new base M5 back in 2018 (it was available right away at the dealership) and although I would've been happy with a little more comfort, the car feels more comfortable than the RS6 and the seats are amazing on long trips.
Good straight comparison! Thank you for that.

Do you remember which felt faster, I know the base M5 is faster than the RS6 Perf., but is it noticeable?
Appreciate 1
Alberta2047.00
      05-09-2024, 02:43 AM   #15
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good straight comparison! Thank you for that.

Do you remember which felt faster, I know the base M5 is faster than the RS6 Perf., but is it noticeable?
You are welcome!

It's very difficult to realize the difference in power when we're talking about two vehicles with around 600 horsepower. The base M5 is rated for 600 horsepower but we all know that it produces a little more, something like 615.

The M5 has a better chassis, it's a more accomplished car than the RS6 C7.

I'm not saying the RS6 is a bad car, far from it.
It's a station wagon with a lot of power but it seems that Audi has done less work on the steering, suspensions etc...

I'm sure you'll love an M5 or M5C, but I advise you to try one before purchasing, just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 04:49 AM   #16
Kristian_Buserski
Rep

Thank you for the feedback!

My other concern is the steering feel, not that I am a car journalist, but some say that the steering feels artificial, from my short city drive in the M8C, I felt a disconnect, like turning the steering wheel of a computer game, but I have to try it on a twisty road to be sure. My RS6 steering on the other hand is spot on in my opinion, slightly heavy and very direct, gives you a sense of solidity and stability, and therefore isn’t so artificial, even though it is electric.
Appreciate 1
Alberta2047.00
      05-09-2024, 06:55 AM   #17
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

M5’s have 3 levels of steering feel that you can choose. I assume M8 do as well. Try them out to determine if any make you happy.

Every magazine test I have seen shows the M5 to be faster than the RS6. Noticeably faster according to the testing in the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile, but people are different and maybe you would not notice. By most standards, both cars are considered fast. Not everyone needs the fastest car.

Since you like the Audi RS6, what about a newer one? Mod it to be as fast as the M5 if you want more performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 08:34 AM   #18
Kristian_Buserski
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
M5’s have 3 levels of steering feel that you can choose. I assume M8 do as well. Try them out to determine if any make you happy.

Every magazine test I have seen shows the M5 to be faster than the RS6. Noticeably faster according to the testing in the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile, but people are different and maybe you would not notice. By most standards, both cars are considered fast. Not everyone needs the fastest car.

Since you like the Audi RS6, what about a newer one? Mod it to be as fast as the M5 if you want more performance.
Yes I have considered the new RS6, but there are some problems:

1. For double the price of mine It isn’t particularly fast, it struggles to beat the 560hp old version, and my Performance will definitely be much faster. I haven’t driven the new one, but everybody says that it isn’t particularly fast or exciting unlike my generation. Which for me is weird to pay twice as much as my car, for one which is slower and less exciting. Yes tuning is an option, and the RS6 will handle the power, but I don’t like modifying my cars, because I drive them for 2-3 years and do more than 20k miles a year, and I want something 100% reliable. Additionally in my country I do not trust the tuners😆. The only solution to this is to get the Performance version of the new RS6, which addresses most of the performance complaints, but it is a significant price premium on top of an already overpriced machine.

2. The second reason is that I would like to try something new, which is also a legend, it will be cool to know that you have owned 2 legends- RS6 and M5.

3. The M5 is a perfect blend of everything I need and want , plus it is relatively reliable compared to predecessors. So I think it might be a good successor to the RS6.

Last edited by Kristian_Buserski; 05-09-2024 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:50 AM   #19
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback!

My other concern is the steering feel, not that I am a car journalist, but some say that the steering feels artificial, from my short city drive in the M8C, I felt a disconnect, like turning the steering wheel of a computer game, but I have to try it on a twisty road to be sure. My RS6 steering on the other hand is spot on in my opinion, slightly heavy and very direct, gives you a sense of solidity and stability, and therefore isn’t so artificial, even though it is electric.
I've never had any complaints about the steering.

I find it very pleasant and precise but I have not tried enough different vehicles to have a legitimate opinion on the question.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:23 AM   #20
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I like the steering. My only previous experiences were the 04/09 CTS-V which were hydraulic. I commented on the steering complaints at Thermal and the instructor basically rolled his eyes and said they don't know what they are talking about and I have to agree. I had no trouble with the steering on the track and I could feel the tires giving up at the limits. I think on normal roads and driving normal speeds the steering might be "too smooth" for some. But at the limits it works. And drifting on the skid pad it works great. I found I liked lapping in sport steering more than comfort because it made it a little easier to hold the steering angle. But it also caused a bit more fatigue. But that's why they have the 2 modes. Pick what works for you. Just because you are driving fast or slow doesn't mean the car needs to be in sport+ or comfort. It really depends on your mood and personal preference. For example, I found drifting on the skid pad so much easier with the engine in efficient vs. sport+ since the throttle response was muted and easier for me to modulate around the values it needed to be.

Auto magazines are like movie and food critics, they kind of have to find something wrong with everything.

As for ride comfort, M5C for me. But that is what I was used to with the 2 V's for 20 years (and arguably is what E39/E60 M5 firmness was back in the day). But we have great roads around here. If I lived in Houston or up north, perhaps a non-comp would be better choice. Drive both is the best option (I did the M550, M5, and M5C back-to-back). Note that some non-comps could have 19" or 20" wheels which will also make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:57 AM   #21
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

A few comments.

- Yes, compared to an F80, it is much more comfortable. I had a new '18 F80 Comp. It's all relative.
- I love the handling. That's the main reason I went with the F90 over the M550. The steering is a bit isolated, but direct, and for the kind of car it is and being 2024, it's pretty damn good.
- But the F80 (especially with a stick) was SIGNIFICANTLY more fun to drive. Now, the F90 can be pretty fun when pushed, but that is hard to do with so much performance on tap. At lower speeds it is not particularly impressive. I don't care for the transmission and the ride when used as luxury car. But the cabin is always amazing.

I always drive the car in Sport engine mode, comfort suspension, and sport steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #22
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I'll second the F80 being more fun to drive (I swapped with my instructor a few times at Thermal). But for an every-day driver, to me, 3 series just isn't a luxury car (I know it is, but it's considered entry-level). And if you are going to have a track car, why have a sedan at all? Plus, I require 8 cylinders or more.

I drove an A6 wagon for 1000 miles a few months ago in Germany. I don't like the gauges and nav as much as BMW. I assume the RS6 gets a massively upgraded interior over the A6 (if not, dump that RS6 and get an M5). I could never drive the RS/A6 as my car because where my knee rests by the shifter is so uncomfortable. I even managed to put it in sport mode by accident when my knee bumped it.
Appreciate 0