BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BMW M5 Soundtrack Audio Clip

06-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #45
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALL3N View Post
I was impressed with the recording. It definitely sounds like sound miked outside the car, possibly with two or 3 mikes. The crackles have to be miked from behind the car, and judging from the wind noise we hear which sounds in excess of just exhaust airflow, I'd say this was done on a vehicle in motion.
Also, the turbos can be clearly heard spooling up around 13 seconds, so I'd say there's a mic mounted in front of the kidney grilles as well. That's a sound you don't get in the ASD of any of the BMW's that have it.

For the haters that are looking for a chance to bash ASD, this is far to complex a set of sounds to just be ASD. ASD is 3-4% of the total sound you hear inside the car, and provides welcome augmentation of what you do hear-specifically the sense of rpm under the hood. Find the threads where ASD has been scrutinized, de-coded or fuse pulled to be disabled and you'll find that most of those folks found they didn't like it without and reverted their settings. If you still love the sound of your E39 M5, E90 M3, or E60 M5, I respect that. Those cars sound wonderful. The fact of the matter is that turbo'ed motors are here to stay and shy of removing all the sound deadening from the firewall and dash, so is ASD in our newer cars.

For the haters who feel the sound isn't aggressive enough, consider that low frequency sounds are hard to capture with close range microphones on the back of a moving car by nature of their wavelength. When I crank my vintage Cerwin-Vegas, they don't rattle my chest until I'm 2/3 of the way across the room. All the way across the room, even better. Yeah, not great for my neighbors, so I only do so when I see they're gone, LOL. Aggressive needs low frequency. An aggressive wasp isn't as scary as an aggressive pachyderm. I think this car is going to sound great for an S63 variant engine. I'm sure the aftermarket will manufacture more aggressive sound for those who want it.
Agree to agree. I also look at it from another angle. An M5 is an everyday car as much as it is a sporty car. After a long day on a long commute home the noise that an AMG makes would just start getting on my nerves and cause me undue anxiety.

We want out cars t have duel characters but scream and shout when people try to give that to us.

I am fine with it, as long as the noise is genuine BMW amped up to compensate for sound deadning stuff.
Appreciate 1
BALL3N69.50
      06-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #46
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
There far too many poison makers out there in this forum.

As a BMW divotee, I criticize as much as praise but overwhelmingly being part of this forum the aim is to support BMW to stay on mission with the products that I have loved since childhood.

Sadly, I see far too many hateful and negative for the sake of it comments from some members.
Well certainly I'm not one of them. In fact, I love how the new M5 looks and I stated it several times before. I might even consider getting one in the future despite its size. Just because the exhaust note isn't where I would want it to be doesn't mean it's a bad car or BMW screwed up. If I was a BMW hater, I wouldn't be here or driving one. But at the same time, I'm a fan not a fanboy.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #47
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Sounds pretty good to me! Hope that is the real engine noise and not just a soundtrack through the car's speakers though

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #48
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Just to be clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Well certainly I'm not one of them. In fact, I love how the new M5 looks and I stated it several times before. I might even consider getting one in the future despite its size. Just because the exhaust note isn't where I would want it to be doesn't mean it's a bad car or BMW screwed up. If I was a BMW hater, I wouldn't be here or driving one. But at the same time, I'm a fan not a fanboy.
Sorry if I seemed I was responding to you. I meant my comment to be a general one aimed at the many negative comments on this controversial issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #49
BMRSEB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 SR+

So far so good.. But, wish they'd spend some time with the AMG audio engineers.. Not really a Merc fan, but those AMG's V8's are the ballzzz!! I have a buddy with an SL400 (V6 Turbo) and even it sounds mean... Again, too early to pass judgement..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #50
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
There far too many poison makers out there in this forum.

As a BMW divotee, I criticize as much as praise but overwhelmingly being part of this forum the aim is to support BMW to stay on mission with the products that I have loved since childhood.

Sadly, I see far too many hateful and negative for the sake of it comments from some members.
Sure, but let's not ignore the elephant in the room. This isn't a M5 sound clip. It's a synthetic digital audio file of a NA motor because the BME motor "as is" doesn't quite cut it.

I was a BMW devotee for decades until current management. They neutered the marque. This management group will be one of the funnier jokes of automotive history.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #51
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

BMW had it right with the S85 and now due to whatever regulations are stopping them from making it sound good the cars all sound bkeh
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #52
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

sounds exactly like my F10 with muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #53
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

It's "all right" at best, especially given that it's a V8, the turbos muffle the sound as usual.
BMW - I have 2 of your cars but you won't get me out of my Carrera GTS with this kind of exhaust note. Peace.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #54
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Sounds great to me! BMW has always been very tame with stock exhaust notes. (Could take some notes from Aston or Jaguar for stock sounds)

However! it sounds slightly better than previous version in the F10. I love loud and in your face, catless straight pipe would be right as rain on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #55
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
I see some "Likes" here for the G30 M5,...and it's soundtrack and some 'ho-hum' not so favorable mentions,...boring, etc! I wonder how the 'ho-hums' and dislikes will change after the "F10 and G30" have their 'stock for stock' match-up at the track! Can't wait to see this one on YouTube!
      06-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #56
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lual View Post
What a pity. Again boring as a 5 series. A 600 hp car should sound different. This is what M5 owners expect. Otherwise we would drive a 540.
Bring back the V10!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #57
DR_G
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 + M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
sounds exactly like my F10 with muffler delete.
Imagine what like-for-like is going to be like....

It sounds like a really good baseline to me, and I totally agree with the 'tame' comment above about stock exhausts - my 335i had a 'night and day' moment going from stock to M Performance; similarly a mate of mine riding behind my M4 on a bike commented on how mental it is when flooring it, compared to stock, particularly in tunnels (again M Performance).

One could argue it's 'lame' having to buy the BMW equivalent of 'aftermarket', however, silly exhausts are not everyone's cup of tea and BMW know this....

Last edited by DR_G; 06-19-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #58
Fixinbones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘22 911 TT

I'm amazed at how AMG seems to produce their twinturbo V8s with awesome sound and BMW continues to fall short in this department and has to pump sound through the speakers to improve the sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #59
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladislav View Post
8 speed auto is trying so hard to shift faster than DCT that it even farts on the shifts .

That "farting" noise is the BMW anti-lag feature maintaining boost while the throttle is reduced for the gear change and has nothing to do with the transmission. The F10 had it too but was less pronounced probably due to the faster gear changing of the MDCT.

All things being equal, if the automatic changes gears slower than MDCT (which it will), then the car has to "fart" longer and louder to maintain boost while changing gears.
Appreciate 0