BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Expected future cost of a 2020 Comp

12-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
Cfabrizio
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Comp Conv.

Expected future cost of a 2020 Comp

Afternoon All,

I am looking at a used 2020 Comp with 27k miles. Carfax is clean, regular maintenance done. I love the new M5 and its performance but I discovered the depreciation rate of the M5 which has me a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger but that's another discussion for another day. Since the car has 27k miles and this will be my first used purchase, are there any expected pricey planned maintenance cost for these cars? Do I hit 30k and need 5k worth of service that's recommended by BMW? I have researched the online owner's manual and didn't see much listed items for service or significant maintenance intervals. I am about 80% on pulling the trigger to see expected costs. I understand that buying a luxury performance car comes with an expense but weighing future costs against crazy depreciation is making me second guess things.

Thanks in advance...cf
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
MITCHYF80
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfabrizio View Post
Afternoon All,

I am looking at a used 2020 Comp with 27k miles. Carfax is clean, regular maintenance done. I love the new M5 and its performance but I discovered the depreciation rate of the M5 which has me a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger but that's another discussion for another day. Since the car has 27k miles and this will be my first used purchase, are there any expected pricey planned maintenance cost for these cars? Do I hit 30k and need 5k worth of service that's recommended by BMW? I have researched the online owner's manual and didn't see much listed items for service or significant maintenance intervals. I am about 80% on pulling the trigger to see expected costs. I understand that buying a luxury performance car comes with an expense but weighing future costs against crazy depreciation is making me second guess things.

Thanks in advance...cf
In my opinion unless u have a super exotic ur going to lose value regardless not sure if that's something that should stop you from buying a car. I got my car back in June with 27k n I'm currently about to hit 36k miles. I haven't had an issues beside brake noise so far. These cars have become way more reliable all around the board.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

It looks like spark plugs and oil service at 30,000 miles. Maybe you could negotiate them to do it prior to purchase. Cars depreciate that is what they do for the most part. The other option is to lease a vehicle, maybe the new M3 or M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
sarasetp
Rep
Drives: 2020 F90 M5 Competition

They will depreciate like all cars. We are at a unique time where prices are not depreciating as quickly as usual, especially inexpensive cars, which have gone up around 20-30% on the used market over the past year or so. As inventory gets back to normal which people expect within the next 12-24 months, the depreciation will be back to normal.

You are still getting great value in these cars as used vs new. Reliability has greatly improved. And the F90 drivetrain has been in production for a while, so reliability should be there.

Back to the depreciation, I have used the tool in the link below. You can play with the models and timeframes to try and get an idea of how depreciation has occurred in the past. Hope that helps.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/BMW-M5-d391
Appreciate 2
WickedBMW614.50
afo818259.00
      12-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
epicaccord
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Afternoon All,

Thanks in advance...cf
You won't regret this purchase at all. It's an awesome machine. Let me know if you want the BMW Ultimate Care + maintenance upgrade which takes care of brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, etc. or extended warranties. I know someone who works at BMW and can help with that much cheaper(pretty much dealer cost) than anyone else. send me the VIN and I can have him check the DCS on it and let you know what work has been done. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
Moserkm163.00
JetDriver108.00
      12-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Like others have said, there's always depreciation. However with the recent supply shortages not sure how it's going to affect the used car market. Not sure if the vehicle you were looking at is a CPO or not but my local dealership where I service my car had a CPO first edition 2018 M5. It was sitting inside the showroom and you can see it from the street. It was gone within the week. I remember looking it up and it was listed close to $90k.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Cfabrizio
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHYF80 View Post
In my opinion unless u have a super exotic ur going to lose value regardless not sure if that's something that should stop you from buying a car. I got my car back in June with 27k n I'm currently about to hit 36k miles. I haven't had an issues beside brake noise so far. These cars have become way more reliable all around the board.
Good to hear, thanks. What was the cause of the break noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
Cfabrizio
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
It looks like spark plugs and oil service at 30,000 miles. Maybe you could negotiate them to do it prior to purchase. Cars depreciate that is what they do for the most part. The other option is to lease a vehicle, maybe the new M3 or M4.
Thanks but I am out on the M3/4. I have a good handle on prices but the rate of depreciation on the 5 series including the M5 was surprising. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
Cfabrizio
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicaccord View Post
You won't regret this purchase at all. It's an awesome machine. Let me know if you want the BMW Ultimate Care + maintenance upgrade which takes care of brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, etc. or extended warranties. I work at BMW and can help with that much cheaper(pretty much dealer cost) than anyone else. send me the VIN and I can check the DCS on it and let you know what work has been done. Good luck.
Awesome, thank you for the offer. I'll shoot you a PM with the info. Is the Ultimate 3 Care + maintenance upgrade worth it....if acquired at the right price??
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Cfabrizio
Rep

Good to hear, thanks. What was the cause of the break noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
Cfabrizio
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueString View Post
Like others have said, there's always depreciation. However with the recent supply shortages not sure how it's going to affect the used car market. Not sure if the vehicle you were looking at is a CPO or not but my local dealership where I service my car had a CPO first edition 2018 M5. It was sitting inside the showroom and you can see it from the street. It was gone within the week. I remember looking it up and it was listed close to $90k.
Yeah, I see them moving fast but some sales are lingering since the dealers have pushed up to the point the market wont support what they're asking. This will be m first used purchase so that is what makes me a bit nervous even though the car looks clean and the carfax report doesn't show any major issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
NJP6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

I have a 2019 M5 Comp with a little over 40k miles. Haven't had any major issues yet. It will be due for its first out of warranty maintenance in a few months which will be the first time I pay for anything (besides tires). Has been reliable thus far.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #13
epicaccord
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You won't regret this purchase at all. It's an awesome machine. Let me know if you want the BMW Ultimate Care + maintenance upgrade which takes care of brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, etc. or extended warranties. I work at BMW and can help with that much cheaper(pretty much dealer cost) than anyone else. send me the VIN and I can check the DCS on it and let you know what work has been done. Good luck.
Awesome, thank you for the offer. I'll shoot you a PM with the info. Is the Ultimate 3 Care + maintenance upgrade worth it....if acquired at the right price??
Absolutely. It's approximately 30%-40% discount off retail and your locked in. When it's time to service, you get your loaner, gets done, and no one is asking you for a credit card.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #14
BIFM
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5 Competition

UC+

Quote:
Hey man, I just picked up an M5C in February and have my first service coming up in a couple weeks. Bought the '21 used with about 9k on the clock and no Ultimate Care + transferred with it (dealer actually didn't even talk to me about this that I recall during my purchase since it was several states away) but came across your post here and wanted to hit you up. I don't have enough posts so can't PM, but if you see this and might still be able to hook a newbie M5C owner up I'd appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #15
b33merFan
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

You'll love the car - but a few things to note.

1) check if the occupancy sensor has been replaced. These tend to go bad and can be a MASSIVE headache to replace. Look at my post history and other posts on this board. May even be worth asking for a special warranty on this issue if not covered elsewhere.

2) depending on the state, normal wear and tear is included in the tire insurance package. I got it because it was included, and essentially means free tires for the next 3 years (or whatever term is remaining on the tire insurance).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #16
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33merFan View Post

1) check if the occupancy sensor has been replaced. These tend to go bad and can be a MASSIVE headache to replace. Look at my post history and other posts on this board. May even be worth asking for a special warranty on this issue if not covered elsewhere.

2) depending on the state, normal wear and tear is included in the tire insurance package. I got it because it was included, and essentially means free tires for the next 3 years (or whatever term is remaining on the tire insurance).
interesting. Never heard of the "occupancy" sensor going bad. How would you even know and why would you care?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #17
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33merFan View Post

interesting. Never heard of the "occupancy" sensor going bad. How would you even know and why would you care?
You'll get an iDrive notification regarding the sensor and the airbag. If the sensor doesn't work properly, the airbag may not deploy in the event of a collision, even one where all of the surrounding airbags would deploy, due to the system not knowing that there is an occupant in the seat. I've only ever experienced this and heard it happening to the front passenger side for whatever reason.