06-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #82
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzl1nz00 View Post
Agree with the weight side of things!

Dyno numbers on stock car attached. BMW for sure underrates power and everyone says this.

Watch this video. For some reason these guys think car is in the mid 800s. They also did a series of races against a 911 Turbo S and it was MUCH closer than I expected!

https://youtu.be/0lWSYxPJYLo
See those measurements mean nothing lol... it's dinans estimate of what they think the crank hp is based on whatever magic formula they pulled out of their asses to determine drivetrain loss.
I've also seen that video, and to be perfectly 100% honest those guys aren't the best drivers in general and dont really knw much about the cars either. I can't recall what videos exactly I'm talking about bug there were some where I was just face palming the whole time lol. Them saying the car has mid 800s is literally based on the fact that a redeye has 800 and the cs was pulling slightly, not accounting for weight or the nearly 100 hp drivetrain loss on the hellcat (12% from advertised).

Speaking on the 911, very similar hp and torque figures (605 and 560 at the wheels) but it went on a 400 lbs diet, so that's really where things are vastly different in both of these scenarios is simply the weight. If you want to know which car is going to be faster a simple wheel hp and torque per lbs is going to tell you pretty accurately. But those made up crank hp numbers mean pretty much nothing unless advertised by the factory since they actually put the engine on an engine dyno instead of trying to guess drivetrain loss... I mean heck if we're going by the standard from 10 years ago and awd car looses up to 25% that means the m5 would have 836 hp at the crank. And a hellcat redeye based on dyno results would have around 860 at the crank with an 18% loss do these numbers really mean anything or matter? Nope because what's going to the wheels is what make the car go vroom, I can have a million crank hp if I only get 200 to the wheels you think it'll be a fast car?😁
Appreciate 0