View Single Post
      12-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #53
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Amusingly wrong. Guess you haven't looked at Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin prices? Not uncommon for manuals to be 4-5x the price of flappy paddles.

But it is correct that demand for large cars with manuals is and always has been comically small. The E38 had a manual option, but nearly no one took it. Now that the 5er is that size, it makes sense that no one wants one either.

But the asinine poor people are the only ones that want manuals bs is simply wrong.
Exactly my point, the reason why they cost so much in manuals is because they know people will collect them and resell later for higher prices.

Look at the 911R, sold in manual, sold out and people are now reselling for huge markup. Mostly none of those cars will ever be driven correctly, it's mostly used as an investment nowadays.
I'm sure there's a select few that drive theirs, and those who love manuals and don't garage queen their cars but let's face it. The want of the many outnumber the needs of the few. There are alot more people buying auto nowadays vs 6MT. You can tell by seeing how BMW is releasing their limited edition cars (CS, GTS and M340i) in auto only. If they knew they would make money on the manuals, it would easily be made to sell the other half of the numbers in manual.

I got no beef with the guys who drive manual now, but just don't expect it to stay around too long. Sooner or later BMW will drop it like Audi and Mercedes did.

Though I believe ford and chevrolet is keeping it alive with their GT350 and camaros.