ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
So how do you explain the rear seat to begin with? Three seating positions connected together, sharing anchors to the seat belts with the same bolts, etc? If there was a market for such a seat it would be cleared to US Safety regs (after spending $100,000,000 on crash tests). It would have to be designed with a few issues in mind. It could be separate 'seats' with less crap between them. The designs currently have a wide section on either side made of that great material plastic, which needs to be wide to provide much strength. The sides could be stream lined to make seats fit better but that would require using better materials and add cost. However, it's not like the cheap injection molded plastic seats are just given away, they are NOT cheap to buy. There is not a great market for such a set up.

Mike
I don’t think it’s about the seat belts and bolts as much as the specific safety regulation stating that the install of one seat can’t “affect the other.” Two seats as one piece, if connected, could mean that if one “side” of them is affected in a crash, the other “side” would/could also be affected. Keeping them separate means that in certain crashes, theoretically, one seat could be affected and the other wouldn’t; i.e., T boned on the passenger side, the driver’s side seat would/could perhaps not be affected. The goal is to provide independent safety for each occupant of each seat. I’m not arguing with you; I actually personally agree with you. If they’re connected though, it’s hard to get around that requirement. Just stating the regulations and how they would prevent a dual/two in one seat if the individual seats are connected to one another in any way. I don’t think any connected/dual design could get around that requirement, as good as your suggestion is.