View Single Post
      04-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonba View Post
Once again if you actually bothered to watch other Auto Express H2Hs you will have realised that 0.1s on that tiny track is a meaningful amount (the E63 beat the Pan Turbo by 0.3s which is significantly heavier and less power). All the H2Hs on that track are close. It may be that the E63s is better on smaller technical tracks, the M5 is better elsewhere. He also admits that in the E63 he had to short shift because the torque range is pretty immense, and that could be the difference between winning and losing on a tight, short track.

The M5 is on Pirelli PZ4s, which is the supplied tyre in the UK. The reason being is that in colder/slippery conditions (aka the UK) the tyre performs better (google some reviews). It has less road noise and leads to better fuel consumption (which in the UK is more important). They also come standard on the E63.
I did watch the video and one tenth is significant over a multiple lap race. I know this because I also know this because I race in real life and don't need an Autocar video to tell me that.

I do not discount that the M5 in Europe may use Pirelli tires - only that tires make a massive difference - and the PS4's are a huge advantage. In fact - to my knowledge - the ONLY time the M5 has ever lost in a comparison to the E63S is when it is on Pirelli tires and not the Michelins. Especially in road course comparisons - the F90 has literally walked the E63S from every review. That said - even with the disadvantage - the F90 was a tenth behind - which is easily down to the driver. It also depends on the type of track - small versus large. For example: The fact that this track was small - and therefore more turn/tire intensive - highlights the tire being that much more important versus a longer - less turn intensive course.

The Pirelli is a better all round wet/dry tire - maybe - but it certainly is NOT a better performance tire.

It's a simple matter of apples and oranges. Test with the same tires. Makes the results that much easier to compare.
Appreciate 0