View Single Post
      08-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #116
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
High revving, maximum power output near the redline. Ring a bell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Absolutely. The engine is central theme to most sports car and I believe the same for any ///M car.

For ///M cars in particular the two main things that make it stand apart are its engine and its chassis. Of course its about the complete package and design too, but the most important things are those two.

I do realize that for some people the car is what ever the manufacturer wants it to be and they just accept that.

But Porsche is good example here. They constantly use the flat 6 boxer engine, but with every new generation or LCi they make significant changes to the engine and make it almost like a completely different engine even though, they're all the same setup. The new .2 GT3 is a perfect example of this, it's a far different engine than the .1 GT3 engine.

M division could have at the very least raised the redline of the S63xx engine for the F90 M5 to 8,000rpm to make it different than the F10 M5 engine, but no, instead they just added a new water pump, a couple of slightly different turbos, and minor changes that don't significantly make it all that different.

Don't expect 7200rpm redline or higher this time either. ZF max engine speed is rated at 7000, plus the S63B44T2 (X5M/X6M) has only a 6800rpm redline. Though I do expect the new M5 to be right at 7000.

Oddly enough AutotopNL posted a tuned M5 acceleration video today and I noticed this one has the +200rpm raised redline, you can see a couple times him shifting right around 7400. Best example is ~1:55.

Appreciate 0