View Single Post
      06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #40
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Doug - I got off to a really bad start with his content, I couldn't tell if he was just a really bad troll or an absolutely awful motoring journalist.

The first video of his I ever came across was this one

Basically to support the narrative he was going for, that being how much better the 2000 era M cars are, he essentially dismissed every modern M car as being dull and too technical and how they're so full of gadgets that you'd ruin your ownership worrying something would break! Which is such a flawed statement I don't know where to begin pulling it apart.

Whereas, he said, the old M cars are very simple and there's nothing on them which can go wrong as a result of that simplicity - which is obviously one of those things you think about when you get carried away but should never say out loud because you realise it's moronic, and not true, but he doesn't seem to have that off-switch, and went and peddled this narrative for the entire video. Like how the new M cars have foot operated parking brakes, they don't have climate control buttons, laggy infotainment operation, almost every criticism he labelled towards the new M cars to support his narrative was false - like he'd obtained his research from ill informed forum posts but it's OK to publish as it helps strengthen the point he's trying to make about the older cars.

It really really annoyed me because millions of people will buy into that nonsense, he puts out this disposable piece of content which he forgets about 2 minutes after uploading but is there now and seen by nearly a million people. Even watching it back again now, I can feel myself getting really worked up listening to him berating the new cars when I know for a fact he's beaten off over high-tech cars in other videos!

Asides from that though - I chose to forget about this and actually really enjoy the other stuff he's done! But he was properly off the mark on that old M car video.
Appreciate 0