Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Floating caliper??? Are u kidding me....regular g30/f3x with m sport brake has fix caliper for rear. F8x, a cheaper car compare to f90, both blue brake and gold ceramic have fixed. Wtf
Could be a few things...
-Caliper weight / clearance
-Brake bias

The rear's aren't stopping much of this car. The surface contact area on the rear rotor is absolutely ginormous anyways

Now, should the car just have fixed piston calipers? Because it's an M5, yes, I absolutely believe it should. The class competition does.

However, this gives people a reason to purchase the brake option package and have fixed piston calipers in the rear I'm guessing. Money in the bank for BMW M.
It's there because of the electric e-brake/parking brake. Brembo has just released a fixed caliper with electric e-brake though, so in the future it will probably become available. But as of now, it's this caliper type they have available with electric e-brake/parking brake AFAIK

Oh, and the rear brakes does do a significant part of the braking!

What brake option package are you referring to? The CCB option had the same type of calipers front and rear on the F10 M5. Have you any info about this being different for the F90? Possibly they have adopted the new style Brembo e-brake calipers on the CCBs?
Gotcha, are you saying that electric parking brake is integrated into the non-fixed piston caliper that we've seen, or there is physically a separate parking brake caliper? Only reason I say this is because I thought my neighbors Model S with fixed piston calipers all around had an extra caliper on the rear for the parking brake, so I guess it's weird that BMW M wouldn't do similar?

I still can't get over that rear rotor / pad surface contact area, it's huge!

On the "option", that was purely me wearing my BMW Market / Operating Income hat ...but sounds like it may be technically not feasible right now.

Cool to see Brembo releasing a new caliper to the market.
Yes, the electric e-brake is integrated in the rear calipers by means of a stepper motor being connected to the brake piston. The stepper motor mechanically screws/pushes the piston in the caliper.

The Tesla solution isn't ideal in my opinion. Both because it adds unsprung weight but also because it adds mechanical components that needs maintenance and looks like an afterthought...

The F3x/F8x has a drum brake inside the rear brake rotors, which means that they can have compound (or fixed) calipers in the rear since the brake calipers doesn't have to act as e-brakes as well.
Gotcha - makes sense, thanks for all of the great info.
Appreciate 0