Thread: M3 vs M5
View Single Post
      03-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #76
ltlftc77
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

I had a 2021 G80 base (manual) then upgraded to a 2023 F90 (comp) two years in. I do like the looks of the G80 in person. Even better than the M5. The black grill with Tanzanite blue on the G80 worked well together imho. However:
I got tired of driving a manual and so did my passengers. I had an E46 with a stick and it was my favorite car. But the G80 had so much more power. My passengers got tired of all the head bobbing between 1st and 2nd.
The additional room in the M5 is welcome.
V8 power
V8 sound
I was amazed at how much grip the RWD G80 had, but I also wanted 4WD which the M5 has.
I spent two days at the track with M Track Days. So much fun. Several laps in the M4 and M5. The M4 Comp was close enough to my M3 for comparison. I had way more fun with the M5 than the M4. The M5 just felt so much more planted and predictable. The M4 felt a little quicker out of the turns, but it also felt squirrelly in the chicane and under really hard breaking. It could be that the tires were just more torn up, but was a stark difference. I just felt way more comfortable in the predictable M5. The lap times were about the same between the two.
It also felt like the I6 was at it’s limit where the V8 had more to give if the track would allow.
From a “luxury” perspective I really think they were pretty close. A lot of people are saying M5, but from what I recall the M3 was just as nice.
I’m glad I had the fun with the M3 and that I have an M5 now. If I could do it over, I’d do it again the same way.
Oh, the gas mileage was better in the M3 and it costs less but give me the M5.
Appreciate 1