View Single Post
      03-02-2024, 07:18 AM   #21
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Yes, went last Friday actually. Im only a couple hours from the SC location and have been there probably 10 times now for various schools, PCD, and new car experience...

Like everyone else said you pick the cars and program. I already had an instructor in mind and he helped facilitate it, finding some track time was a bit difficult, I had been trying to set it up since last fall. They can only book a couple weeks in advance so once I was offered a couple dates I accepted, I think I was actually offered it the week of, on monday and I booked it for Friday.

The agenda was designed per my requests. I just picked up an M3 CS and am having a real hard time learning that cars limits... I spent a lot of my time in the M3 (they didnt have a CS, no surprise there.) A lot of time on the skid pad and then two autocross circuits. Did 4 hours, which was honestly maybe an hour too much. Definitely a lot more seat time than the 2 day M school, or anything else I have done. I drove so hard I got myself a little sick but powered through it. They timed my laps so I was able to try and improve on hitting Apexs, braking zones, and carrying more speed out of the corners. Constant feedback from Andy my instructor about where to improve as well as demo laps before and during if desired. Its really done to be whatever you want...

Interesting little tidbits, last time I was there I had the M5 tire at 165 degrees after 4 or 5 autocross laps, which kinda blew my mind as I dont think I have ever seen mine over 130. This time I had them up to about 210 after several laps, maybe 10 laps... A couple of the instructors said at lunch they'll get up into the 240s at times. I found the M5 to be a lot easier to drift (which surprised me) and was able to hold that drift for a lap around the skid pad, obviously still no where near Matts record drift LOL. I also went through a full tank of gas in the M3 that day.

Overall it was fun and I would highly recommend but tbh tracking your car has a lot of upside and probably more actual track experience if you are willing to risk it and absorb that wear and tear on your car. I did VIR a few years back in the e92 m3 and learned a lot there as well. Its a lot different pace though tbh and at the VIR day its balls to the wall the whole time, there is no taking a break or letting your mind rest for a second, get off the track to do that...

I do drive pretty hard and did notice the performance on the car would diminish after 5-10 laps but I just rotated between the two cars. They all have carbon ceramics so there was no brake fade that I noticed and cars never went into limp/cool down mode like I experienced in the F10 in July during an M school.