View Single Post
      02-07-2024, 11:54 AM   #36
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Could be good for a track guy or big city driver who eats brakes. I am a mostly highway driver at 50k miles on original rotors and while I might change them as part of putting on new pads, they aren’t near their wear limit. No cost savings for me unless I drive a few hundred thousand miles, but I was intrigued in the possibility of significantly lighter rotors maybe being a poor man’s alternative to carbon fiber.
Agreed. These are definitely for those who track their cars or are extremely aggressive - we have clients who go through brake discs in less than 30k miles so it makes sense for them to just swap the rings out. Like mentioned above, BMW uses aluminum hats which makes the OE discs quite light to begin with. The weight savings on other platforms really come from using an aluminum hat vs an iron/steel one.
We do have ceramic matrix and carbon carbon composite discs as well that serve as a direct replacement for your steel discs with prices about half of OE. Still quite a bit of an expense but it's a one time and done job even for the aggressive drivers. Our inhouse cars with our CCBs have over 35k hard miles on them and the pads are not even worn by 2mm yet.

Last edited by TritonMotorsports; 05-17-2024 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0