View Single Post
      04-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

leased cars belong to BMWFS not the dealers.
so usually when customers return a leased car , the dealer accept the car and either buy it from BMWFS or the car is tagged and picked up by BMWFS and taken to auction
as we can all imagine , this is an expensive process for BMWFS , so they usually encourage dealers to buy these cars and give them a variety of incentives, but dealers can still refuse them. In normal times even if the dealer did not want the car , they stored it briefly until BMWFS pick it up and by doing so , they please the customer in the hope customer will buy a car from them now or at a later stage and did not cost them anything
so unfortunately now with this crisis ,some/most dealers have no space to store a returned car as there sales are down and storage space is limited .. Other companies are having similar issues ....
unfortunately dealers have limited storage space
auctions are closed so BMWFS can't take them and sell them
I am sure this will get better as the country starts to open up and things start moving again...
I think customers might be able to extend lease for a month or two at a discounted monthly payment and this might be a win for both parties. Not sure though if anyone that I know of have discussed that with BMWFS. If it was me , it is worth a try , and just be upfront with BMWFS that if they discount lease significantly , you can keep car for couple of months .. If they are smart , they should do it
Appreciate 1