04-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
My response to that is simple: if I compare two cars and put slicks on one and not the other - you are okay with the outcome? I recognize that there isn't the same disparity between my example and the actual test - but the point is that tires do make a significant difference. The key here is that the same tires used in the winning comparisons and those worn by the E63S - the PS4's - are an available tire. So as a testing criteria - to eliminate that factor - it would have been helpful to have the same tires.

As stated - the M5 beat the E63S by one SECOND with the same tires being used by both - so I submit - it's a relevant advantage.
We are talking about comparison tests here with cars as delivered from the factory. Cars should be tested that way as that is relevant to the customer.

All other things are nice to test but I am not sure to what end. They are different cars, putting the same tires on doesn't fully equalize the race. Still lots of other variables that play in.

The M5 had to beat the E63s. It is the newer car with an existing benchmark to beat. They had to create a credible AWD system, otherwise they would have taken a beating in the press.

Personally I would have expected a larger difference between the two given the 250lbs or so weight advantage.
Appreciate 0